PDA

View Full Version : problem with a compressor

Benjimin Young
03-27-2007, 4:19 PM
I recently purchased a small Campbell Hausfeld 1 1/2HP compressor. I noticed it will not start (sounds like the compressor wont turn over) in colder weather although my old cheap no-name oil-less unit started in any temperature. Is this normal for a compressor that requires oil? Note, I installed the oil it came with.

Ted Miller
03-27-2007, 4:28 PM
Ben, Did you check the electrical connection to the motor itself...

Al Killian
03-27-2007, 4:28 PM
This might seem dumb, but if there isnt enough oil in it the oil sensor will not allow it to turn on.

Per Swenson
03-27-2007, 4:59 PM
Ben,

These babys really have to be warm, oil bath or not.

Brand new and tight tolerences lend to this problem too.

I don't mean hot, 40 degrees or better should be fine.

Per

Brian Ross
03-27-2007, 6:35 PM
I had the same problem with an Emglo and it lasted 20 years until I ran it out of oil. Especially in the cold and you had to drain the tank to get it started. The Hitachi does the same thing but not as often with the same cure. I guess they don't like the cold anymore than we humans.

PS Don't for get to check the oil in your compressor

Brian

"Jason Belous"
03-27-2007, 6:49 PM
Have you checked to make sure that your not pulling to much power from the electrical source. I do architectural trim work and alot of time in older houses or when running off an extention cord my compressor will sound like it is trying to run or chugging you might say. It never pops the breaker though. try it in an outlet that is on a short run and make sure it is the only thing running off that line at the time it may or may not work. Just a diagnosis. good luck.

Ben Grunow
03-27-2007, 9:16 PM
We actually use a small electric heater to warm the pump portion of the compressor on our emglo pos. It might start with the air drained but after coffee the breaker is blown so we opt to heat it all day. Cant wait unitl it dies.