PDA

View Full Version : What to do when turning a deep vessel?

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 1:03 PM
When I picked up my new lathe I also picked up a set of 100mm jaws for my Nova Midi. I was reading the manual and it says not to turn pieces over 14" in diameter and I think around 6 inches deep. What if I want to do a vessel thats around 20 to 25 inches deep. Do I have to use a bolt on tenon as a glue block or is there a way I can use my chuck safely? I also have a set of jumbo mini jaws if that helps. One more question is what to do about chatter. Even the ones I made that are 10 inches deep had issues with chatter. Thanks for any help.:o

Mike Vickery
03-27-2007, 1:28 PM
I do not do really deep stuff but I think the chuck would be fine if used with a steady. Not sure what to tell ou about the chatter except to turn the inside in sections. I think the steady should help the chatter quite a bit as well.

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 1:30 PM
The steady, is that the unit with the wheels on it that goes on like a tool rest?

Brett Baldwin
03-27-2007, 1:39 PM
Yes Bill, it sounds like you're thinking of the right thing. Inline skate wheels resting on the outside while you hollow the inside which takes some of the pressure off the tenon/mortise.
Here's a homemade one I found...

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 1:46 PM
Now thats the way to go! The ones I've seen are nowhere near that bad boy. I do have a plasma cutter and a mig welder:rolleyes:

Keith Burns
03-27-2007, 4:40 PM
Yes Bill, the steady rest is definately a must have. But I was wondering what tools you were going to use to go 25" deep? Think you chatter is bad now.......

Curt Fuller
03-27-2007, 5:21 PM
You might want to get some sort of small overhead hoist to hold that 100 lb chunk of wood whilst you get it mounted to something, too.

Jerry Clark
03-27-2007, 9:30 PM
No hoist needed for Bill,:eek: He puts them together from little pieces-- and then makes the beautiful!:D The depth will require a heavy cutting tool and light cuts.:rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
03-28-2007, 3:12 AM
When segmenting you can start to finsh the inside as you go up.:p Actually on the next piece I'll make it in 3 pieces, the bottom, the middle then the top. Then when i glue them together I'll need to clean up the 2 glue joints. The steady will make that cleanup much easier. I'm going to try to cut a step into each piece so they interlock together. I've been studying up in my Malcolm Tibbetts book.:D I've never tried any of this so if anyone has any advice I'm listenin':) There is the possibility that this won't work:( But I guess I'll never know if I don't try:rolleyes: I will do a photo documentary of the next one. My photo tent should be in tomorrow.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2007, 8:01 PM
I haven't found anything on the market that is quite what I want so I'll be making my own. I'm going to use Baltic Birch and some skate wheels.I'll post pics when I get around to making it.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
I haven't found anything on the market that is quite what I want so I'll be making my own. I'm going to use Baltic Birch and some skate wheels.I'll post pics when I get around to making it.Bill, have you seen this one? http://www.turnrobust.com/Bowl_Steady_Rest.html :)

Jeff Moffett
03-29-2007, 8:25 AM
or this one? http://www.theokspindoctor.com/rest.html

Bill Wyko
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks Jeff. I spoke with the man that makes that steady and I've decided that's definatly the way to go. Thank you very much for the info.:) Christopher the one you posted would be great too but they don't make one that will fit my Mayo.:(