PDA

View Full Version : L-N Chisels vs. the Original Stanley 750s

David Weaver
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Good afternoon - I have a question for the guys out there who have tried both.

I have several L-N tools, including a 5/16th mortise chisel, and I like all of them. I noticed that most of the tools I have, are patterned after stanley items, with the exception of the large shoulder plane and possibly the mortise chisel (i have no idea what it's based on, but it also looks like a stanley design).

My question is, after reading several reviews on the internet, it looks like original stanley 750 chisels are still superior to everything with the exception of the LN updates and good Japanese chisels.

Does anyone who has original 750s and the LN equivalents have any opinion about the superiority of the LN chisels over their original bretheren. Is there a good reason to spend the extra money for the LN tools vs. the originals? In terms of planes, my experience has been "definitely", but that may be due to the inability to find a very good well tuned bedrock plane for any less than a new LN plane.

Should I try some of the 750s, or should I keep acquiring LN stuff as I find a need for it. I prefer the western chisels over the japanese chisels for no reason other than that I don't have a good feel for what would chip japanese chisels, and I may still be a bit abusive with my tools.

Pat Zabrocki
03-27-2007, 1:15 PM
I have both and like the LN slightly better. The 750s are a better value, just make some good handles, which is fun anyway. I don't have any Stanley mortise chisels or LN mortise chisels, just the 750s and the LN bevel edge chisels so I can't say in that regard.

chees
Pat

Brad Woods
03-27-2007, 6:51 PM
My father has a set of Stanley 750's that he has accumulated over the past while. I have used them and they are nice to hold and keep an edge really well. I bought myself the Lie-Nielsen chisels after a lot of research and deliberation. I could have gotten 750's myself, but there are differences that swayed me to the LN's. First, they are new. No need to flatten backs, derust, regrind someone else's bad sharpening job, etc. Second, and most important to me, the Stanleys are squared off along the sides and thus have a more difficult time in cleaning out dovetails. In fact, I haven't been able to do it in some cases. The LN's are beveled right down to the edge, making cleaning out dovetails a breeze. Those are the big two. They are both great chisels and I would love to own either set. If you have the resources, the LN's are a great tool.

Brad

Dan Larson
03-27-2007, 8:01 PM
Sounds like you may have caught the Chris Schwarz article, but in case you haven't...

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSchwarz/LNChisel/LN_chisel1.asp

I can't compare them to the 750's, but I can say that I am impressed as to how well the LN's hold an edge!

Dan

Bob Smalser
03-27-2007, 9:49 PM
There was nothing at all special about either the steel or the quality of any prewar Stanley chisel. Some like the size and balance of the 750, although Stanley made identical chisels not marked as "750's" that sell for a small fraction...but the rest is collector hype.

Any old chisel will require some to a lot of work to bring into service. The L/N's require none.

mike bailey
03-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I own both. I was fortunate enough to find the 750's unused in the original box. Both sets take a great edge but the LN's hold it much longer. It comes down to what feels best in your hand. I prefer the feel of the LN's.

Alan Turner
03-28-2007, 5:31 AM
I have several sets of Stanley 750's, accumulated over the years, but do not have the LN's, although I have used them. The 750's are a bit thinner than the LN's, and hence well balanced. As to edge retention, some of the 750's are great; others just fair average. The 750 steel was run of the mill, which meant that they used the steel they had, and it was of varaible quality. None o fthe 750's I acquired were of collector quality, and all required some work.

David Weaver
03-28-2007, 8:22 AM
Sounds like you may have caught the Chris Schwarz article, but in case you haven't...

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSchwarz/LNChisel/LN_chisel1.asp

I can't compare them to the 750's, but I can say that I am impressed as to how well the LN's hold an edge!

Dan

You know, what's funny is that i read an entirely different article that compared everything except LN and japanese chisels, and it said that the two cherries and original stanley 750s were head and shoulders above everything else in terms of toughess. It's odd that this guy is saying that the metal is very soft.

I sort of default to LN stuff because I know there won't be any compromises with it. I'm amazed how good their stuff is considering that it's "production" goods, and not that much more $ than other "above home depot grade" stuff. (I guess that depends on your definition of "not that much more").

I don't know what woodcentral is, but the review is there and I'm not going to post the link here because it's probably a competing site. You can get it by typing "stanley 750" in google and viewing the first link. It may be an old review that pre-dates the LN chisels.

David Weaver
03-28-2007, 8:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. For now, I'll stick to the LN chisels as I'm a user and not a collector.