PDA

View Full Version : My first semi segmented piece on the new lathe.

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Here's the first piece on the new lathe. I've had the piece of eucalyptus drying since the day I bought my jet mini. I roughed it out about 2 weeks ago. Then I was surfing the web and saw a piece with the same concept but w/o the holes. I had some scrap teak left from my kitchen I built so I chopped up some scraps and whala. As far as the holes go, I did those on my Incra jig router system. I hope you all like it and as always comments are very welcome.:)

Tony De Masi
03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Bill,

Great piece. I especially love the wavy pattern of the eucalyptus.

Tony

Jonathon Spafford
03-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow... the woods are beautiful and the foot is small enough that the bowl looks like it is floating! Awesome work!

Mario Lucchesi
03-27-2007, 1:45 PM
Great work. Nice wood choice and scale. The proportions are very pleasing. Good work.

Belinda Barfield
03-27-2007, 1:47 PM
Bill,

I enjoy looking at every piece you post, but this one is exceptionally nice. I really like the combination of woods.

BTW, hope you guys on the TF don't mind if I hang around and check out your work. :o I am just really fascinated by all of the interesting and unique pieces, and how you guys take a chunk of wood and turn it into something beautiful and functional. You all make me look at wood in a whole new way! Thanks! Oh yeah, and many times the interchanges on your forum are so funny I check it out when I need a laugh! :)

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks Belinda. You should get yourself a jet mini lathe. They are only a couple hundred bucks. Everything you've seen me make up until now was on one. Be careful though, the vortex is a powerful entity. It'll grab you with a force you can not escape. But I absolutly love the little thing. Woodworkers source offered me full trade in value on mine and I turned them down. I just couldn't part with it because I like it that much. Now it's called the jet 3 wheel buffing system.:D

Belinda Barfield
03-27-2007, 2:45 PM
Be careful though, the vortex is a powerful entity. It'll grab you with a force you can not escape.

I've been feeling the pull already! There is a tremendous amount of land being cleared in our area, mostly oaks and pines, some dogwood. I see dump trucks full of logs and stumps every day. Last Thursday I was at the lumber yard and they had a dump truck full of oak blocks they were giving away as firewood. Is oak desirable for turning?

I have been walking around for a couple of years with a table base design in my head, and looking for the "perfect" stump. On Friday a dump truck passed me and there in the back was exactly what I needed!! Being Friday, and 5:30, I couldn't maneuver through traffic to follow the truck:mad:. Don't know what I would have done anyway, guess I could have strapped it to the top of my little Maxima!:D

Keep up the beautiful work!!

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 3:14 PM
Relax Belinda. It's easier if you don't fight the pull of the vortex.:D I've seen many mini lathes for under 200 bucks on the auction sites. The mini won't turn very large solid chunks but they are a great way to get started.

Jerry Clark
03-27-2007, 3:31 PM
WOW Bill, you sure do some nice work-- like everything you make!:D The form and choice of wood makes this!

Paul Engle
03-27-2007, 4:24 PM
ah Bill.... the vortex has another one in its grasp, nice job on the burl bowl, Belinda will soon succumb to the swirl of the chips and buzz of the gouge...the beauty of the craft and sheer pleasure making something right now today....or tomorrow:D

Robert McGowen
03-27-2007, 4:58 PM
I would have to say that it is your best work to date. The balance of everything seems just right.

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 8:58 PM
The nice part about this one is that it only has 49 pieces. I made it in one day.:D The Turquoise one had 861 pieces I think and it took me weeks.:eek: The next one I have planned is going to be around 2000 pieces so I might be a while on that one:confused: but there will be others while the glue dries. Thanks again everyone.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2007, 3:29 AM
Now that I look at the pictures I can see the finsh needs a little work:cool: Finsh is the hardest part for me. It's like watching grass grow.:cool: