PDA

View Full Version : Wood Source for Pencil Post Bed

Jack Hogoboom
03-27-2007, 11:49 AM
My wife wants me to build a pencil post bed. I've looked at the bed Lonnie Bird built (described in FWW) which calls for four 80" posts made from 12/4 lumber. I haven't found any place locally that sells wood that's more than 1" thick, so I was thinking about ordering it from one of the big name suppliers (Steven Wall, Hearne Hardwoods, etc.).

I know others have posted about their experiences, but I'm wondering if one supplier is better than the other when it comes to this type of specialty lumber.

Jack

Greg Cole
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Jack,
I am smack dab in the middle of the Mid-West, but I can give thumbs up to Hearne from here. I have purchsed from them 3 times now I think & have nothing what-so-ever to gripe about. Call them and tell them as much info as you can & you will find they do a pretty good job on selecting sticks for you. There is nothing like being able to select your own lumber IMHO, but if you can put some trust in a reputable outfit you should find what you need.
Talarico Hardowoods is another fine supplier, depending on what species and quality of lumber you want.

Greg

Not affiliated in any way with anyone selling lumber.... would be nice if I was!:rolleyes:

Carl Eyman
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
You may remember Norm made one years ago. I made one for my granddaughter about 15 years ago. I couldn't find cherry that thick; so I laminated it. Came out well. I don't believe you can find the laminations without looking hard for them. I'd do it again.

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 4:33 PM
Jack, I also do Hearne for this kind of stuff...as a matter of fact, I need to make a trip down there soon for some QS cherry for the next two vanities on my "list".

Roy McQuay
03-27-2007, 8:46 PM
If you want figured wood, Hearnes is great. The people there are very nice to deal with and helpful. They also have a very big bandsaw that is something to see. They said it is the biggest bandsaw on the east coast.