PDA

View Full Version : Black Mirrors and latest classic mistake!

Frank Corker
03-27-2007, 4:13 AM
Well the black mirrors are unusual. Finding the right combination in Photograv to make it 'just right' didn't bode to well with me. I ended up using the method Rodne Gold posted which came up with the best result. At the end of the day these black mirrors are just glass but using the glass.prm supplied by Photograv was just a big joke. Anyway the settings turned out to be almost the same as black granite and the negative positive thing was the same.

Now for my classic mistake. I had originally planned on engraving the below box in a light wood, but the suppliers ending up sending me a dark one by mistake. I went ahead and engraved it as the artwork was completed before they arrived. Although it turned out fine engraving wise, there was something that just didn't seem right and as it turned out, it was the classic mistake. It should have been a negative image. What a bummer!

Live and learn, live and learn.

Jim Good
03-27-2007, 7:40 AM
Frank, I'm guessing yuor box was for a customer. Will you try again with a negative image on a lighter box? I'd like to see the difference if you are going to give it another shot.

P.S. Go to bed!!!! :eek:

Jim

Karin Voorhis
03-27-2007, 8:49 AM
Frank as always I admire and adore your work!!!!! The wine and classes are the best....

The black mirror came out good too. Your photo work on mirror is just wonderful I have been playing around and nothing I am happy with as of yet.....

James Aldrich
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Frank,
The mirror looks great. Did you etch it from the back or the front? I have tried some black mirror in the past, but you could not see the image when I etched it from the back (it was dark mirror). Unless I back lit the mirror. Also did you color fill the etching?
Jim

Frank Corker
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
James, engraved from the front and silver rub'n'buff. I tried to do from behind but it was a waste of time.

Jim, no plans on doing another one just yet, but the customer liked it as it was.

Karin, keep trying, what else can one do?