PDA

View Full Version : Router Table

Scott Sallyards
03-27-2007, 12:43 AM
I am looking to upgrade my router table. I am considering installing a table on my table saw (saves space in my small shop) or building a stand alone table. Does anyone have a preference and any plans for a good table.

Scott

Mike Heidrick
03-27-2007, 12:52 AM
So are you wanting a plan for the table saw or a plan for a stand alone table.

I built my own designs for each. I went with the 1.5" MDF laminated designs for both. The original table was on my Delta saw. Its design was laminated and edge banded in Oak and was an great design and I used a shop made fence with Alum strusion zero clearence fence faces.

My current router table is meant to be at home with the Sawstop and I used a woodpecker table and Incra 25" LS-Pro fence setup. It is an awesome design right out of the box but very very big.

Scott Sallyards
03-27-2007, 7:25 AM
Since I have a small shop I think that the router table on the table saw extention would save space but if anyone has compelling reason to use a standalone router table I would like to know, and if someone has plans for either that they can share that would be great

Scott

Mike Heidrick
03-27-2007, 8:07 AM
If you have a saw that you plan to keep for a Loooong time then it is worth the Router table work. I put a lot of time and pride into mine on the delta only to see it sold with the saw. After that my time and pride went into a stand alone model :)

scott spencer
03-27-2007, 8:55 AM
I've had a router table on my last two saws over the past 4 years, and find it to be a great space saver in a small shop. A stand alone unit would be nice if I had the space, but of the many compromises in my shop due to space and budget constraints, the RT on the TS is a very one that's very acceptable IMHO.

The stand alones usually offer more storage and better DC, but there are ways to address both of those issues when mounted to the TS.

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 8:57 AM
There are advantages to both locations...on the saw saves space, but also competes for space if you are working with the saw, too. Independent table can double as infeed-outfeed support as well as additional assembly space...and provide often much-needed storage. Dust collection is generally easier to provide on the stand-alone system since you can just build a normal cabinet carcass; on the saw it requires suspending a box under the table in most cases.

That all said, I recently went from many years on a stand-along router table to a routing station on my saw. It's a little different setup than yours will likely be due to the type of saw, but I think I'll be able to live with it in the long term. What I do need to replace post haste, is the storage I've given up from the independent table...

As to a stand-alone table, the venerable New Yankee Workshop version is a great project and provides nearly everything you would want in a router table station.

pat warner
03-27-2007, 9:19 AM
This one (http://patwarner.com/router_table_cd.html)can be hung on the rafters when out of play.

Scott Sallyards
03-27-2007, 9:25 AM
From the responses it looks like I can't go wrong either way. For space considerations I lean to using the table saw. I have a JET table saw and do not plan on changing it anytime soon. Can I use my current fence (with adjustments) as the base for the routing table fence or is it best to build or purchase a new one?

Scott

Randal Stevenson
03-27-2007, 9:25 AM
I was planning on building a router cabinet (bought table top in classifieds a while back). But I was at the bookstore a bit back, and found a book where they mounted the top to the wall, with fold out angles to support it in use. I am now seriously considering that option (major space saver).

Barry Anderson
03-27-2007, 4:22 PM
Scott ... I have my router mounted on a wing of my table saw. I use the fence on the table saw to service my router, when routing and the saw, when sawing. The problem with this, if you want to use the saw, you need to reset the fence, remove the router bit (the router is to the left of my blade) and saw. Then to route, you reset everything. I believe a router table would be much handier. You could use the saw when you wanted to make/remake a piece and the router when you wanted to route.

I have been thinking of making a bench mounted router table to free up my saw. If you've the room for a router table and a saw ... I would go that way ...

Barry in WV

glenn bradley
03-27-2007, 5:12 PM
I sorta did both:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54206&d=1167872154

Supports itself but is attached as a left extension wing.