PDA

View Full Version : tongue and grove cabinetmaking router bits

Scott Sallyards
03-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I purchased your tongue and grove cabinetmaking router bit set from Sommerfeld tools. The claim is that you do not have to adjust the bits when you change from the grove to the tongue. They provide you with a rubber grommet that you place in the bottom of the collet. This is to provide stability since you place the bit all the way in. I own a Porter Cable 892 router that is on my router table. The collet is deep and the bit never touches the rubber grommet that is on the bottom. This causes the bits to be misaligned. How do you fix this problem? I really like the tongue and groove system but if I have to size the bits each time I change them then I loose a major part of the functionality that I paid for. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

Regards

Scott Sallyards :eek:

Daniel Thompson
03-27-2007, 1:14 AM
I had the same problem with the CMT set that Sommerfeld used to sell with the PC router in my table. I solved the problem by inserting a short length of wood dowel into the router collet. The length was such that the dowel rested on the grommet and the end of the router bit pushed on the end of the dowel. The dowel was less than 1/2 inch diameter to ensure the collet clamped on the bit and not the dowel. It seemed to work OK, at least I managed to build a set of kitchen cabinets that way.

Al Navas
03-27-2007, 8:13 AM
... They provide you with a rubber grommet that you place in the bottom of the collet. This is to provide stability since you place the bit all the way in...
Actually, the rubber grommet lifts the bit to keep it from bottoming out - the collet does not secure the bit properly when bottomed out.

Daniel is correct. Look at some of the comments in a post in this thread, (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=552718#post552718) in which the same solution has been suggested.

Scott Sallyards
03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Al,

Thank you for the link to the other post. Looks like Sommerfelds have a few issues with the T&G. Do you know where the best place is to get the modified bearings? Does Bob Wingards have any or contact Sommerfeld to see if they have any. It does demo well at the shows but until you use a product you never know. After spending $100+ and knowing that Sommerfelds are aware of the problems I feel a bit cheated.

Scott

Barry Anderson
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
The bearing problem has been fixed for awhile. If you just received your set you are OK. Check the tongue and see if it goes to the bottom of the goove. If it does, you have the new set.

Barry in WV

Scott Sallyards
03-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks Barry, I does go to the bottom and fits snug

Scott

Al Navas
03-27-2007, 7:14 PM
Thanks Barry, I does go to the bottom and fits snug

Scott
You ARE good to go, then! No need to worry about the bits not working properly.

If you read the linked threads, you will notice that I provide measurements that show the dimensions of the tongue and the groove, including lengths, widths, and depths.

Please refer to earlier posts here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=544707#post544707), above the last post in the thread. A LOT of background and what led to the general discussion about the Sommerfeld bits, plus the bearing fix being offered for sets older than about November 2006.

Fred Voorhees
03-27-2007, 8:25 PM
I purchased your tongue and grove cabinetmaking router bit set from Sommerfeld tools. The claim is that you do not have to adjust the bits when you change from the grove to the tongue. They provide you with a rubber grommet that you place in the bottom of the collet. This is to provide stability since you place the bit all the way in. I own a Porter Cable 892 router that is on my router table. The collet is deep and the bit never touches the rubber grommet that is on the bottom. This causes the bits to be misaligned. How do you fix this problem? I really like the tongue and groove system but if I have to size the bits each time I change them then I loose a major part of the functionality that I paid for. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

Regards

Scott Sallyards :eek:

Scott, it sounds as if the problem isn't really based in the Sommerfelds bit set. It is simply the fact that your collet is deeper than your bits will reach. The idea of the grommet is twofold. First, it establishes a certain depth for both your stile and rail bits to go and in theory, both "bottom out" on the grommet at the same exact depth. Second, the grommet prevents the bits from actually bottoming out in the collet, allowing room for the bit to suck down into the collet when it is tightened.

I use a piece of foam rubber in my collet for this purpose. I use the CMT bits and although the theory of having the bits exactly line up sounds great, I always check anyway. It is not rocket science to line them up using a scrap piece of wood that has been milled along with your good stuff to check alignment. In fact, I will be doing just this stuff tomorrow in my shop.

Scott Sallyards
03-27-2007, 9:41 PM
Daniel,

I tried using your solution and it has worked just fine. Thank you and all of those who have replied for your help

Scott