PDA

View Full Version : Question for PM 3520B- power cord

Matt Haus
03-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I was wondering what kind of power cord this lathe comes with. Does it come with a 220 plug? How long is it. I have a PM 2000 and it came with a 4 foot cord I had to replace with a longer one and no plug.

Thanks

Dario Octaviano
03-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Mine came with roughly 6 feet wire w/o the plug.

Mark Pruitt
03-27-2007, 8:19 AM
Dario is right, you supply your own plug. I made a 220v extension cord from some heavy gauge wire--the manual specifies which gauge for which cord length. That's worked well enough in the first month of use for my 3520 that I don't see a need for running a new outlet.

William Bachtel
03-27-2007, 8:48 AM
I also made a 220 v extension cord, mine is 25 feet long, its great I didn't have to run power, and I can use the cord for the air compressor etc. Lathe comes without plug. Go to an electric supply house.

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 9:11 AM
240v tools rarely come with a plug and only sometimes come with the cord. The reason for the former is that there are several different types of plug/receptical combinations that are used and they are all mutually exclusive. Be sure to use components that are rated for the amperage of the tool and circuit.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-27-2007, 9:25 AM
240v tools rarely come with a plug and only sometimes come with the cord. The reason for the former is that there are several different types of plug/receptical combinations that are used and they are all mutually exclusive. Be sure to use components that are rated for the amperage of the tool and circuit.Just one more reason to buy a Robust. :D :D :D

Mark Pruitt
03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Just one more reason to buy a Robust. :D :D :D
You mean that thing supplies its own power?:D :D

Christopher K. Hartley
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
You mean that thing supplies its own power?:D :DWell,...no!:rolleyes: But, it does have it's own cord and plug supplied.:D :D And ya know what the best part is?:p It isn't Mustard colored!:cool: :D :D

Dario Octaviano
03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Chris,

I am sure some mustard owners won't mind buying Robust if they can afford (or justify) it.

That said, I am very happy with my 3520B especially for what I paid for it. It really is a GREAT value lathe. The color actually grows on you...at first I have my reservation on the color but after a short while, I loved it (and still very much so).

Bruce Smith
03-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Chris you left one other thing out, its made in North America.

Mark Pruitt
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
And ya know what the best part is?:p It isn't Mustard colored!:cool: :D :D
Oooooooo.........that hurt. I mean really really bad.

Hmm....wait a minute.....let's see. OK...Travis...Jim...Mark C...Dennis...George...Pete...Chris B...Kurt...Cecil...Dario...Clem...Ernie...Mike F...Brodie...Clancy...Adam...Chris J...Mike T......about umpteen bezillion others...Hey, I don't feel bad at all!!!:D :D :D

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 4:51 PM
But, it does have it's own cord and plug supplied.

But did the plug match your outlet? My outlets are all twist-locks...So that's what I put on Stubbalina when she arrived on 4 February 2004.

Mike Turkley
03-27-2007, 6:35 PM

Hmm....wait a minute.....let's see. OK...Travis...Jim...Mark C...Dennis...George...Pete...Chris B...Kurt...Cecil...Dario...Ernie...Mike F...Brodie...Clancy...Adam...Chris J...Mike T......about umpteen bezillion others...Hey, I don't feel bad at all!!!:D :D :D

Neither do i Mark.

Were you doing a mustard roll call?
If so....

Here! :D

MikeT

Chris Jenkins
03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Matt,

Jim hit things right on the head about 220V machines. I too use twist lok plugs. I would say using 12 gauge cord on this machine if the cord is run is less than 50 ft is safe. I have mine all run on 12 gauge and I have never had a problem with the wire feeling hot from prolonged use. 10 gauge is needed on machines that will continuely run for 3 HP or better (IE my PM66). Granted I ran about 100 ft of 12 gauge to my compressor, but keep in mind this circuit does not keep running. If I was a mechanic and not a WWer, I would have ran 10 to the compressor as this machine would cycle on and off a lot more. Just some food for thought.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-28-2007, 2:08 PM
But did the plug match your outlet? My outlets are all twist-locks...So that's what I put on Stubbalina when she arrived on 4 February 2004.They resolved that issue as well. Brent sent me an owners manual that tells exactly what outlet to use. So, in wiring up the isolated 220VAC 20Amp circuit I made sure it was the correct one.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-28-2007, 2:09 PM
Chris you left one other thing out, its made in North America.Bruce You are Right! I usually save that one for the Mayo ribbing however.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-28-2007, 2:25 PM
Chris,

I am sure some mustard owners won't mind buying Robust if they can afford (or justify) it.

That said, I am very happy with my 3520B especially for what I paid for it. It really is a GREAT value lathe. The color actually grows on you...at first I have my reservation on the color but after a short while, I loved it (and still very much so).Well said Dario!!:) and with all the beautiful stuff I see coming off of those Mustards ya'll have every right to be proud. But, that yellow stuff, that you said grows on you, is that anything like mold? When I got my Mayo Lite, the color was love at first sight.:p He he he!!:D :D

Christopher K. Hartley
03-28-2007, 2:36 PM

Hmm....wait a minute.....let's see. OK...Travis...Jim...Mark C...Dennis...George...Pete...Chris B...Kurt...Cecil...Dario...Clem...Ernie...Mike F...Brodie...Clancy...Adam...Chris J...Mike T......about umpteen bezillion others...Hey, I don't feel bad at all!!!:D :D :D

Neither do i Mark.

Were you doing a mustard roll call?
If so....

Here! :D MikeT
Hey someone has to pull the chain of you Mustard lovers every once in a while.:eek: :eek: After all I haven't heard much from the Mayo guys of late. They used to keep ya'll in line just a little bit.:D :D :D