PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet saws with a riving knife

Sue Wise
03-26-2007, 9:20 PM
Hi Friends:
Looks like I may be able to buy a cabinet tablesaw. I know that the SawStop, PM2000, and Grizzly Extreme series saws have riving knives. What other saws on the American market have them?

-Sue

Pete Brown
03-26-2007, 9:30 PM
I believe the Laguna cabinet saw does. The other European manufacturers who sell in the US (Hammer, Felder, Mini Max) may also have saws that fit the bill for you.

Jamie Buxton
03-26-2007, 11:17 PM
You might also consider used older machines. For instance, there was a 12" Delta tablesaw which had a riving knife. And Inca made a 12" cabinet saw with a riving knife.

Gary Herrmann
03-27-2007, 8:28 AM
My Biesemeyer splitter attaches in such a way that it works a bit like a riving knife. Not completely, but it does tilt for bevel cuts. Just another thought.

Douglas Robinson
03-27-2007, 9:34 AM
Sue:

I bought a PM2000 earlier this month. So far I am pleased as can be. I am waiting on their low-profile riving knife. This is separate from the one that comes with the saw (Which I am using). It ships in April. I had a Jet befoire this and I am a little embarrased to say that I used none of the safety features because they worked poorly and/or got in the way. The safety features of the PM2000 are great and I have not made a cut without them.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but thought I would chime in

Doug

Sue Wise
03-27-2007, 9:46 AM
Hi Doug,
Actually your message does address one aspect of my search. The PM 2000 is the saw that is top on my list. (Sawstop is out of my reach financially.) I use all the safety equipment on my current contractor saw, so I was looking for a saw with a riving knife and a blade guard that was very easy to take on and off depending upon the cut. (I have experienced kickback (but no injuries) on someone elses saw with no splitter and guard. Seems like an accident waiting to happen IMHO.)

Ted Miller
03-27-2007, 9:47 AM
Sue, I have the Laguna TS with knife, its great to use. Laguna is made in Bulgaria...

Rob Bodenschatz
03-27-2007, 9:55 AM
Sue, I'll concur with Douglas' assessment of the PM2000. You mentioned the ease in taking the guard and riving knife off and on. It is VERY easy. Just takes a couple of seconds. The integrated casters are very nice as well. I can push my saw around with my pinkie finger when they're raised.

Jim Summers
03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Are there minimum kerfs that can be used with the factory riving knife on a pm2000?

I just started using a pm2000 last week, and it is awesome. I have had some problems with a couple of rip cuts though. The first I was using a 60 tooth freud diablo thin kerf and once the cut got onto the knife it became to hard to push. The second one was with another thin kerf blade. In both instances I was able to use the handy shutoff button and then back out the stock and change blades to a standard kerf, a little more than 1/16th I believe and the rips are like cutting butter.

Do you think I need to adjust the knife or is there a minimum kerf for use with the factory knife?

Again the PM2000 is excellent. Easy to move around, solid, true. Passed the nickel test.

Thanks

Noah Katz
03-27-2007, 2:28 PM
"Are there minimum kerfs that can be used with the factory riving knife on a pm2000?"

The RK's (I ordered the shortie w/the saw) for my PM2000 both have engraved markings saying "Knife Thickness .100", so a thinner kerf will bind.

Jim Summers
03-27-2007, 2:57 PM
"Are there minimum kerfs that can be used with the factory riving knife on a pm2000?"

The RK's (I ordered the shortie w/the saw) for my PM2000 both have engraved markings saying "Knife Thickness .100", so a thinner kerf will bind.

Thanks Noah,

Yep, in both instances I was in a wood saving mode and needed to try and not lose to much to the dust.

Thanks again.