PDA

View Full Version : Rookie turners new work

Ace Karner
12-21-2003, 1:20 PM
My main inspiration to get into turning was when I saw a cherry plate that Ken brought to Hatfield's BBQ. Didn't take me long to justify buying a Jet Mini on sale. Since then I have made a few objects and lots of chips and fire starters.

I am attaching a pic of my first attempt at a cherry plate, I didn't have near the neat looking figured wood that Ken use but I'm proud that it turned out anyway.

On the plate is my first attempt at a ornament using the inside out method of turning, I used some scrap maple so the wood is no great shakes but I do think it turned out pretty nice for a prototype. I drilled out the top with a "R" size drill so that it fits over a lite on the small lite sets of tree lites, it looks great when lit on the inside, I don't have a tree to take a pic so you'll have to take my word for it :)

Thanks for looking

Ace

Dave Smith
12-21-2003, 1:53 PM
You done good Ace. The plate looks great. Just the thing to put cookies on for Old St. Nick. I like the ornament also. Neat idea to put a light inside. That is all I need, more ideas of things to make.

Dave Smith

Too much stuff not done in Longview, WA.

Jim Becker
12-21-2003, 2:06 PM
Now we know why you're named, "Ace"! Nice job on those turnings. The plate is just great...don't think that you need to have an extraordinarily figured piece of wood to make nice things. The quality of the turing on that plate speaks for itself. Good job on the "inside-out" ornament, too.

Happy Holidays!

Terry Hatfield
12-21-2003, 3:46 PM
Ace,

Wow!!! Nice job on both projects. Glad you weren't watching me at the BBq. You would have only learned how to blow a goblet up!!!

Terry

Jason Roehl
12-21-2003, 3:57 PM
Good-looking plate there, Ace!! Keep posting pics of your stuff.

Ken Salisbury
12-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Great job Ace !! I haven't gotten around to doing the inside-out thing yet. Maybe I can give it a try after the Holidays. Would make some nice Xmas gifts for next year.
Keep up the good work !!!

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Nice stuff ya got there Ace! The plate looks very nice, and the Ornament is really cool also. Drilling the ornament so that a Miniature Light will slip into it for illumination is a great idea. Thanks for sharing the pictures and ideas with us. Whatever you are doing on the Lathe, keep on doing it.................it is working REALLY good! :D (By they Way, nice Avatar..................where did ya get that picture of Santa?) ;)

Bob Lasley
12-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Ace,

I know who oughta be giving turning demos at next years's BBQ's! I'll bet lots of folks would like to see how you do that inside out stuff. Even a flat wood guy like me would like to see that.

Great job! BTW, you going to be up this way for Xmas?

Bob

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2003, 12:27 AM
Merry Christmas there Ace..!!!! Really nice plate you turned there. You need to teach me how you did that so well. I have turned a couple myself, but they ain't nuttin' purdy to look at. I'm still learning the turning thang and need to get around some folks that do well on turning.

The ornament looks great.!! I may have to try some of those next year.