PDA

View Full Version : First Efforts

Dave Carey
03-26-2007, 9:09 PM
Thought I'd offer my first attempts in hopes for some suggestions. My technique, in a word, sucks, but I'm pretty happy with the results, especially the cherry and ash/purpleheart bowls. That happiness is forged more by relief that I was able to salvage the catches (the ash "coaster" was to be a small bowl when it started) or avoid major ones in some cases. All were done on a Jet mini and with pieces of scrap. Numbers 1-3 are in the 4-6" diameter range; no. 4 is 8.5 inches and close to as wide as the mini will allow. Suggestions on shape, finish, wood etc greatly appreciated.
1. cherry; 2. ash from a friend in King George, VA; 3. maple from another friend's back yard with butternut; 4. ash and purpleheart

61174;

Mark Pruitt
03-26-2007, 9:28 PM
Those are some mighty nice "first efforts" Dave! I like 'em all. The ash/purpleheart is my favorite. Keep 'em coming.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2007, 9:57 PM
Dave for being first's those are some beauties. Keep'em coming.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
First's or 10ths.......Those look pretty good to me! Keep at it..........Elvis didn't learn to sing well on the first night either!:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2007, 9:51 AM
Great first efforts Dave! I have to agree with some others here - ash/purpleheart bowl looks really good! Keep turning - everything gets easier with experience. Have fun!

Jason Slutsky
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Nice work Dave! I like the finish on them a lot.

I'm "new" also and I guess I should stop saying that when I post pictures. Maybe it seems like an excuse for something that I feel isn't quite right. Good thing about the Creek is that whether you're "new" or "old":eek: , if you invite feedback here you'll get some thoughtful, honest, and creative points of view on your work.

Bob Hallowell
03-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Dave,
They all look good, I am fairly new to turning too but you will find that it will come rather quickly.

Bob

Dave Carey
03-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and the encouraging words. Each of those bowls have been a learning - and at times humbling - experience, but all of them have been great fun. Appreciate the support! Cheers