PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus Burl question

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 8:38 PM
Around the tight burls are open like cracks or where the grain is pulled apart. Is there a way to fill them and keep the natural look of the wood?

Stephen Hibbs
03-26-2007, 8:40 PM
I saw a burl filled with clear epoxy that looked really nice, another option is CA or epoxy mixed with coffee grounds, It'll just look like sap or dark wood

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 8:45 PM
Thanks Stephen, I'll try the coffee grounds. I was going to get some inlace but Wood crafters is about 20 miles away. Coffee is cheaper too.:D

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 8:47 PM
Coffee grounds for filler is becoming a popular option with turners these days...not just due to the cost, but due to the neutral color that works with many types of wood.

Leo Pashea
03-26-2007, 8:49 PM
Coffee grounds are an option for larger voids, but you can also use CA adhesive and artists charcoal for smaller cracks and voided areas. I prefer medium CA for this. I load the area in question with CA adhesive, then rub over it agressively with a charcoal stick. Fills nicely, and has a very natural appearance. There are many other techiques, but I like simple.

Neal Addy
03-26-2007, 9:05 PM
Bill, if it can be turned without falling apart, why fill them at all? Those aren't cracks, they're character! :D

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 9:08 PM
I could do that.:rolleyes: The burls are very tight. I'll put a little finsh on it and see what it's going to look like.

Greg Savage
03-27-2007, 8:39 AM
All of a sudden coffee grounds seem to be in vogue for patching and filling. Who came up with this one? I don't get it! Any time you try to fill a void, it always looks like you are trying to hide something.....even if sawdust and epoxy or CA is used. If you are going to fill something, why not take the opportunity that has been given and inlay some metal flake or crushed stone or shell. Add contrast!....If not, leave it natural....BE CREATIVE!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2007, 9:39 AM
Bill......I've been using epoxy and instant coffee crystals that I crush then mix with the epoxy. Works well.

Greg....the coffee mixed with the epoxy often either adds contrast to a drab piece of wood......adds interest to ....rather than trying to hide a repaired crack......OR blends in with some grain already in the wood......such as some apricot I've been working with......

Jason Slutsky
03-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Bill, as was said before, those cracks are "character". I think they look great. Another option that may not look natural but produces striking results are the various powdered metals and crushed stone that can be sprinkled on and adhered with CA.

I know CSUSA has a bunch...I'm sure there are tons of other sources for similar materials.

TYLER WOOD
03-27-2007, 10:58 AM
I have heard of using cofee grounds, but for me.........
take a small piece of the wood to the belt sander with a container at the end and get to sanding. Get the collection and add to epoxy. Same principle as the cofee grounds except you get a perfect color match to the wood, cause it is the wood. Just my 2 cents.