PDA

View Full Version : Wrench Question

Pete Jordan
03-26-2007, 8:04 PM
In my never ending effort to get my vaccuum system working, I have come upon another problem. Is there a wrench with two prongs that will give me torque to loosen these adapters from the drum chucks?

Adam Morgenstern
03-26-2007, 8:15 PM
look for an adjustable angle grinder wrench. HF has them for pretty cheap.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36554

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 8:44 PM
The adapters should have an extra hole in the back that you put one of the allen screws in to "jack" the insert out of the drum. (That's assuming you mean to change the spindle adapter for use on a different lath) All of OneWay's chucks/adapters have this feature. There is a slight taper in how the adapter mates with the chuck and it's very snug and precise...the screw will lever it out cleanly and without damage.

If you mean so you can unscrew them from your late spindle...does your spindle have a lock? If so, just engage the lock and you should be able to spin the chuck off using your hands with a little effort at first.

Brad Schmid
03-26-2007, 9:31 PM
Yeah, the jack screws are the only way I've ever used to get them out... well that combined with a little tap with a hammer to pop them loose. I think trying to twist them out would damage either the aluminum drum, the wrench, or the adapter itself.

Pete Jordan
03-27-2007, 8:04 PM
Thanks for the help!

I did "jack them up" and it worked!

I still have issues getting my vaccuum to work but I am giving up for the day.

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 8:14 PM
Brad, you're correct...prying them is not a good idea. OneWay builds the inserts and tapers to very, very close tolerances...so much so that they almost have the same properties as glue. The jack screw arrangement provides a nice even action to get them loose without damage to either the chuck or the insert.