PDA

View Full Version : Recycled bowls ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-28-2003, 11:50 AM
I had what is probably the rarest thing (yeah, right) in the world happen while I was turning some bowls in the shop... I managed to go through the bottom. Since then, I've visited Bill Grumbine's website (a regular weekly visit to keep up on additions) and copied his depth gauge. Amazing what the right tool can do for you. It would have been a shame to throw them in the firewood pile, so I thought of ways to recyle them, after all, they're already round. Since they were shallow bowls anyway, I shortened the sides a little more and finished hollowing the bottom out. Then I carefully enlarged it to put a small shelf in it to epoxy a mirror in place. It didn't look too bad, so I took it to work and showed a couple of ladies and they went nuts over it. Now I have several orders to do sets of turned mirror frames for their bathrooms. I pick the mirrors up in various diameters at Michael's Arts and Crafts just up the road and the wood's from pallets from work. Some of them have some very nice red oak slats and it's amazing how many get damaged in handling. Anyway, it's a change from doing bowls, but it's extremely easy and lots of fun to try the different techniques with the gouges and skews. It's giving me lots of practice on tool handling and using a very light touch in finishing. Thanks for looking.

Randy Gleckler
02-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Ron,

Great cover-up, you intended to make them that way RIGHT?!?!? :)

Seriously, they look awesome.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
02-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Now that is what I call taking lemons and making lemonade!! Good save and just call them a design inspiration from left field.
Kurt

Dominic Greco
02-28-2003, 1:06 PM
Ron,
Excellant use for what would have otherwise been scrap! They look beautiful.

It's even better that they turned out to be such a hit! That is a great idea. The women here at work would probably go nuts over something like that. I have some Cherry and Walnut that would be perfect for this application.

This is the kind of success story I like to hear. Reminds me about the guy who invented the slinky. And look how much he made in the end!

I had a slightly similar experience with making potpourri bowls. I made my first (4) just on a lark. But I ended up selling about 30 of them over the holiday season.

Again, great job!

See ya,
Dominic

John Miliunas
02-28-2003, 1:18 PM
...all this time I've been trying to convince LOML that I'm just making fancy funnels! That's a great idea, Ron! I think you may be on to something and what a good use for those thin boards, which may not otherwise be useful for turning or have a knot or something right in the middle. Excellent use of resources! Kudos and keep those ideas coming!:cool:

Mark Mazzo
02-28-2003, 2:29 PM
Ron,

Nice idea on the mirrors. I just recently started turning. I'd bet that these would be a big hit with people even if they aren't by mistake :D. Again, nice work and thanks for the great idea.

-- Mark

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-28-2003, 4:48 PM
Where's the rest of the Car?

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-28-2003, 4:56 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zack Jennings
Where's the rest of the Car?

Dr. Zack ... I tried to get the "baby moons" off my brothers car ... but he wouldn't have any of it. Guess I'll just use flat mirrors.:D