PDA

View Full Version : Finished Display cabinet

Brian Brown
03-26-2007, 6:12 PM
I built this China Hutch/Display Case for my wife. She collects porcelain bridal dolls, and had no way to display them. I am a beginning woodworker, and when I saw the display case in the Sep. 2003 issue of Wood Magazine (issue 150), I wanted to build it for the dolls. She also has a large collection of china and crystal that lived in boxes under the basement stairs. I thought I might be able to somehow combine the cases for both the china, and the dolls. This project was far beyond the scope of my abilities. I spent two years honing my skills, and collecting a few extra tools, and this is the result. The hardest part was modifying the plan from the magazine to the plan for the final display case. I take credit for this project, when in reality, it was a joint venture with my wife. She is very organized, and was invaluable in the plan modifying process, insuring that all parts were accounted for, and had the proper changes made to their dimensions. She also helped in the assembly, and finishing. She grew up in her families lumber yard, and has no inhibitions when it comes to working with wood (OK, she’s not crazy about table saws). I (we) learned a lot with this project. I will probably never build anything this large again. I simply don't have the space and tools for finishing a project this big. I told her that in the future, if I can’t lift it with one hand, it doesn’t get built. We made some mistakes on this one, a few of them serious, but after nine months of living in the garage, here it is.

Brian

John Buzzurro
03-26-2007, 6:21 PM
Brian, that is really beautiful. IMHO, beyond beginner skills. What type of wood did you use?

Greg Cole
03-26-2007, 6:23 PM
Brian,
Looks great & especially for a first. 9 months is a long time on one project and can make it feel as though you will never see it finished... great job on sticking with it!
I can't get my LOML to come into the shop other than to tell me to get out of it! She will make a guest appearance when summoned to choose wood species for something or for a finish color choice, but that's about it.

By the way, make sure to tell the LOYL about all the compliments her and your work brought on!

Mark Engel
03-26-2007, 6:25 PM
That is absolutely beautiful!

I would never have had the confidence to try something like that as a beginners project. Very well done!

Roy McQuay
03-26-2007, 6:53 PM
Beautiful cabinet, beginner or not.

glenn bradley
03-26-2007, 7:00 PM
Beautiful work. You deserve a new tool as your reward.

Mark Engel
03-26-2007, 7:01 PM
Beautiful work. You deserve a new tool as your reward.
Yup. What he said. :D

Brian Brown
03-26-2007, 8:23 PM
John,

The cabinet is made out of alder. I wanted cherry, but around here cherry is about $11.50/bf. Wasn't going to happen. Alder was high enough at $4.00/bf. The stain is a custom color to match LOML's piano. Alder is not my favorite wood because it is so soft, but at least we don't have any kids to be crashing into it all the time, although my clutzy 40 year old brother tried to put his hand through the glass last week. I can't take him anywhere. This wasn't really my first project, as I built a couple of bookcases a couple of years before. I used some KD pine from Home Depot. My suposedly dry pine was so wet, I got a shower cutting it. I learned the hard way about using dry wood. It could have been worse, my doors just warped a little when they dried.

Brian

Jay Brewer
03-26-2007, 8:30 PM
Very nice work Brian, definitely something to be proud of.

Shane Newlin
03-26-2007, 9:02 PM
Well, well done. This looks like something worth the effort to update your homeowners insurance to include it. A second on Glenns comment that you deserve a new tool. "I did'nt want to buy it babe, I needed to." ;)

Dave Malen
03-26-2007, 10:19 PM
very nice - and the wife - I'd keep her!
Dave

Jason Tuinstra
03-27-2007, 3:05 AM
Very nice. Looks like you've put it to good use. Good job.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-27-2007, 6:49 AM
Nice work! Although it may have taken longer than you wanted, the results are wonderful.

It will be an interesting piece in your home for a long time. Your wife can show off her dolls, and you can show off your case at the same time!

-Jeff :)

Mario Lucchesi
03-27-2007, 7:47 AM
That is awesome, isn't it nice to have built it yourself (together). everytime you look at it you can take pride in that. (just don't dwell on the (design enhancements) that occured through the process. I hope that you both are able to enjoy it for many years.

Brian Weick
03-27-2007, 8:14 AM
You have got to be kidding Brian ~ 11.50 bf-? you must be referring to finished stock. Ruff cut 5/4 cherry is available around here in NY for $1.90 bf . Red oak $1.75 maple $1.80. If your referring to ruff cut at $11.50 - that's a little steep-at best. This man has a business out in the country 20 min from the city and sells all kinds of wood -all ruff cut lumber. You should see if there isn't anyone that has a tree business locally or a small milling shop- they are the most reasonable as far as pricing goes.
Very nice cabinet Brian, well done!

Al Willits
03-27-2007, 8:40 AM
Very nice, not much more than I can add that hasn't been said.
Wouldn't sweat the 9 months, unless you were doing this as a business taking your time and doing a good job, would be more important to me.

Al

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 8:46 AM
Some serious doll action there...and a beautiful piece of woodworking to compliment it!!
----

Brian W...not a whole lot of cherry growing in Idaho and there probably isn't a mill or lumber perveyor on every corner. I'm not surprised that the price of cherry for OP Brian is "up there"...

Karin Voorhis
03-27-2007, 8:46 AM
WOW very nice work here on such a grand scale.... Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe someday I will be that kind of beginner!!!!! LOL

John Gregory
03-27-2007, 9:45 AM
You got to be proud of that work. It is awesome.

Brian Weick
03-27-2007, 9:50 AM
Yea Jim,
I know prices fluctuate depending on location ~ but $11.50 for cherry -whew , I'm great full that I live where I do-man that's expensive!

Sammy Shuford
03-27-2007, 9:52 AM
Like wow,
That looks super! Super!
Thanks for sharing,

John Schreiber
03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Congratulations. That's a piece that everyone who comes to your house will see and admire. When they learn that you made it yourself, they will doubt your word.

I'll bet after you step back from it for a few months, you will start to be excited about another big project.

Also, congratulations on your lovely wife. Working together on a project each sharing your strengths is wonderful.

Brian Brown
03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Brian,

NO!!! I am not kidding. Hard woods really cost that much here. The area I live in is a DIY kind of an area and I always wondered why there are so few woodworkers in the area. Now that I have priced the wood, I know why. There are only 2 hardwood dealers here. One has quality wood at high prices, and the other is a cabinet shop that sells only the culls from their cabinet stock at even higher prices. The quality dealer doesn't like to sell to the weekend warriors so we pay a premium price for the small quantities we buy. There are no other hardwood suppliers nearer than 260 miles, and the prices are not enough lower to justify the gas and time. As for a small local mill... I live in the desert. There are no trees. Really! No kidding! If we could build with sagebrush, we would be in great shape. The nearest forests (about 1.5 hours away) are all softwoods. Lodgepole pines that make great log cabins, and telephone poles, but not big enough to make economical lumber. Besides, who wants all that pitich on their blades? On the brighter side, we have great fishing!!! My wife and I vacationed in New England last fall, and for the first time in my life, I wanted to hug a tree (all of them), and while I was at it, pull them up by the roots and bring them home. I have recently focused my energy on wood turning to get my sawdust fix, without breaking the bank. Now I can get my lumber free when a neighbor is cutting down one of the few "domesticated" trees in the area. Such a limited selection. Oh well, we can't all live in the eastern forrests.

I guess that's enough of my whining for now.

Brian

Don Dean
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Wow...beautiful.

Don Bullock
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Brian,

NO!!! I am not kidding. Hard woods really cost that much here. The area I live in is a DIY kind of an area and I always wondered why there are so few woodworkers in the area. Now that I have priced the wood, I know why. There are only 2 hardwood dealers here. One has quality wood at high prices, and the other is a cabinet shop that sells only the culls from their cabinet stock at even higher prices. The quality dealer doesn't like to sell to the weekend warriors so we pay a premium price for the small quantities we buy. There are no other hardwood suppliers nearer than 260 miles. ...

Brian

Brian, my only suggestion for this would be buying your wood over the Internet. I'm sure that some here could help you find what you want at better prices than you can get locally. It's worth a try.

Ralph Okonieski
03-27-2007, 1:03 PM
Beautiful job. Very nice!

Bruce Page
03-27-2007, 2:30 PM
Outstanding work!
I don’t believe the beginner part of the story though, nope, not for one second! :eek:

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-27-2007, 6:39 PM
That is a piece of art !!! Nice job both of you