PDA

View Full Version : My mayojor Gloat finally here along with the first piece.

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 5:52 PM
:D FINALLY! I just got my 1442 mayo this morning and turned out a little project to break it in. Boy talk about smooth as silk. I love this thing.:D :D :D :D :D I'll put up better pics when the finish is done. Now it's time to get busy:cool:Comments welcome.

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 9:12 PM
Looks like the mustards get all the love around here.:mad: JK:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2007, 9:59 PM
Bill congrats on the new lathe. You sure didn't get it very dirty.:D Nice first project on it. You are going to make some nice turnings with that thing.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Bill Congrats! I'm sure it'll serve you well!

Mayo 1....Mustard 1:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Pete Jordan
03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Congrats Bill!

There is no stopping you now!

Chip Sutherland
03-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I do. My skill has advanced steadily. I've only encountered 1 piece of wood that I could not handle: 19" mahogany platter blank. But I have not tried turning outboard stuff either. I'm a little risk averse to outboard without a super solid steady rest. My 1442 isn't my last lathe but I seriously doubt my next one will be mustard because it's not a big enough jump. I could have bought mustard (or 1642 or Nova) when I got the 1442 but I knew I wanted to have several more chucks, turning tools, captive rigs, etc. I was the right decision for me but I love turning on mustard, nova and 1642 every chance I get. What I miss most is the slower speeds and reverse....but that'll be qualities in my next machine but I'm a better turner either way.

As for your piece. I like the shape and the cutout details much. Enjoy it.

Neal Addy
03-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Congrats, Bill! You'll enjoy that lathe. I love mine! It serves me well.

Now put it to good use. :cool:

Brett Baldwin
03-27-2007, 1:28 AM
Congrats Bill. Seeing what you did on the mini, I can't wait to see what all spins off the mayo light. Nice bowl also.

Jonathon Spafford
03-27-2007, 2:38 AM
Awesome... way to go! Nice lathe and nice work (as usual)!!

Bob Hallowell
03-27-2007, 7:15 AM
Bill, congrads I am sure you put er to good use!

Brodie Brickey
03-27-2007, 9:26 AM
Bill,

Congrats on the lathe. I'm sure you'll enjoy its use for many years. It really makes a difference when you have solid tools to work with. How is the weight? Everything steady?

I like that segmented / solid collage you put together. I may have to try something similar. Its a very striking piece. The mixture of natural burl and formal walnut is very interesting. I can now see some things to do with a 6x6x2 piece that doesn't end as a simple small bowl.

Thank you.

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2007, 9:43 AM
Bill - congrats on your new lathe! Great looking first projest! If you liked turning before - you are going to love it now! Have fun and post often!

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Trust me when I say that the wheels are spinning as fast as the lathe. I have so many ideas for things I want to make. I'll have to visit myLOML every once in a while. Once again thanks to everyone for the compliments,the beautiful work and the knowledge from which I can learn. :)

Doug Collins
03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Your segmented work amazes me! Very nice!!!

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 2:15 PM
This has been quite a whirlwind. 90 days ago I saw a guy at Woodworkers making a candlestick and now I'm doing segmented work with 800+ pieces. You've all given me an abundance of information which has allowed me to do so. so I just thought I'd say thanks.:)