PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw motor direction?

Al Killian
03-26-2007, 4:29 PM
Ok, I just finished rebuilding a mid 70's Rockwell bs and have a question. Which way are the wheels supposed to spin? If your are standing on the side and looking at the wheels mine are turning to the left. From what I can remember they should go the other way. I cant you the orignal motor as it runs on 220 and there is only110 in the shop at this time.:(

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-26-2007, 4:33 PM
Look at it as if its finished and the table and blade are on it. The teeth need to slice down through the wood as your feeding from the front of the table. I am being very serious.

John Ricci
03-26-2007, 4:34 PM
Looking at the "business side" of the blade the wheels should be turning clockwise for a downstroke.

J.R.

Rich Person
03-26-2007, 4:52 PM
I'm far from a good eletrician, but can't you just switch the non-ground wires to reverse direction? I recently wired my new BS, and the two non-ground wires on the BS were both black. The manual suggested just hooking it up and if the wheel turned the wrong way, then just reverse the order.

Al Killian
03-26-2007, 4:54 PM
Thanks, I had a feeling that it was running backwards. Now I have a reason to get a different motor. I checked and it is not reversable. This will be my chance to get a 3/4" hp instead of the 1/2".

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 4:58 PM
I'm far from a good eletrician, but can't you just switch the non-ground wires to reverse direction? I recently wired my new BS, and the two non-ground wires on the BS were both black. The manual suggested just hooking it up and if the wheel turned the wrong way, then just reverse the order.

Some induction motors are not reversable via user-accessable wiring changes.