PDA

View Full Version : Its finally arrived & its all blue.

Bart Leetch
03-26-2007, 4:06 PM
I finally capitulated & purchased a Kreg Jig.

Now the fun begins I gotta learn how to use this thing.

John Ricci
03-26-2007, 4:15 PM
You are going to love that thing Bart. I have the older Kreg K-2 and another small pocket holer both of which are used regularly around here. No clamps, just glue n' screw and be done with it. I even built a plant starting table out of 2x4 cedar for SWMBO with only the screws, no glue and after a year it is solid as a rock. Nice score;).
J.R.

glenn bradley
03-26-2007, 4:20 PM
I think you'll love that thing. I have the mini and use it more than I thought I would.

richard poitras
03-26-2007, 4:31 PM
Bart you will find it is very easy to learn to use it’s, and you will be surprised with how many things it can be used for as fare as speed and ezzzzz …. Enjoy

brian lanning
03-26-2007, 4:37 PM

The kreg jig was easily the biggest surprise purchase for me. I bought it in the hopes that it would help me throw together jigs quickly. It turned out to be one of the most useful tools I have. I like to make knock-down furniture out of 2x4s for use in the shop. I can assemble a table from scrap 2x4s and a piece of scrap for a top in about 30 minutes.

brian

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 4:59 PM
Good investment, Bart. It really is a good tool to have and I believe you'll get a lot of use from it.

Pete Brown
03-26-2007, 5:09 PM

You'll love it. I have the old version, and despite my complaint about pieces shifting when you snug them up (see other threads) I still find it very useful.

Do yourself one favor - use a corded drill to drill the pocket holes. A cordless is fine for screwing the pieces together, but you can drill holes a lot faster using a corded drill. I have a good heavy Bosch cordless and it doesn't do it as quickly or easily as my $30 DeWalt corded.

Pete

Edit: D'oh! I see the corded drill off in the corner of the photo. I missed it the first time :)

Greg Cole
03-26-2007, 6:16 PM
Handy little set up it is. I bought mine for face frames for a couple shop cabinets and it's found many uses since. I do like the newer version with a vac port, I sort of rednecked it when I made a portable work station for mine & cut a hole in the ply base to fit a shop vac hose in as the potrable station just overhangs the bench a few inches & the base is clamped or screwed put. The portable station is a good idea as supporting a board of any longer length.

I have also found the screws to be great for other applications, they don't split end or side grain easily and don't need pre-drilling in most cases.

Bruce Page
03-26-2007, 6:25 PM
Bart, let me know what you think of the vac attachment. I've never used mine because it seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Dennis Reardon
03-26-2007, 7:18 PM
Greg would you mind posting a pic of your setup? I too have the older version and even looking at my setup and reading your fix my old and feeble mind cannot figure out what you did.

This is one of those tools that once purchased you find more and more uses for. The little rocket jig that comes with it can be very handy when doing repair work. Bart you are going to love this new tool.

Don Bullock
03-26-2007, 7:42 PM
Congratulations. Great haul!

Fred Voorhees
03-26-2007, 7:45 PM
Your going to wonder how you got along without that Kreg system Bart! I am finishing up a platform bed project and I used pocket screws throughout. I want to count up the number of screws that I used. Why? Well, just because I want to know. I estimate that I have used somewhere around 150 of them.:eek:

Bart Leetch
03-26-2007, 10:52 PM
The jig is connected to a small vac plugged into a Sears automatic switch so when I trigger the drill the vac kicks in & sucks the chips away.

The Sears switch is hooked into a plug strip so I can have my ROS & the Kreg Jig & what ever plugged in & just switch the hose to what ever I am using at the time.

I have another plug strip that is not hooked into the switch for other tools.

In playing with the jig hooked up this way I like the vac hook up & will most likely continue to use it.

Pete I see you discovered the corded drill, the other tool is a 1/4" impact driver it drive screws quite well.

Jim Becker
03-27-2007, 9:06 AM
Bart, the vac hookup on the current version of the Kreg setup is very nice. I have the older series two unit and it does make a mess!! It's also good you're using a corded drill...you can use a cordless for "incidental" use, but a nice, corded drill will power through the pocket holes much easier. Even an old-crusty one will do!

Don Bullock
03-27-2007, 9:42 AM
The information on the corded drill is something I had not read before. Thank you to those who mentioned that fact. I bought the Kreg system at a woodworking show and haven't had a project for it yet so that information will be very helpful when I start using it later this spring.