PDA

View Full Version : A couple pens

Jason Slutsky
03-26-2007, 3:16 PM
I got my penmaking stuff last week and here are two that I made today. They're both rhodium slim-line's from CSUSA.

One is acrylic. Can't say I'm crazy about the smell while working it but it looks nice when finished.

The other is cocobolo finished with Bush Oil. I used the corners that I cut off of a bowl blank. Split that piece in half and then I realized the cool "burst" effect that I was going to get when I put them together. The other side is a reverse of the pattern you see.

Jason Slutsky
03-26-2007, 3:18 PM
Would be nice if I actually attached the picture:o

Jonathon Spafford
03-26-2007, 3:34 PM
Beautiful pens! I especially like that cocobolo one... they look nice and comfortable. I prefer the beefier grips. Nice turnings, both of them!

Johnathan Bussom
03-26-2007, 3:40 PM
Nice pens Jason,
Finally I hear someone say something about the smell when doing the acrylic, I have been tempted to try it but had reservations about odors etc while turning.

John

Jason Slutsky
03-26-2007, 3:48 PM
Johnathan,

The acrylic smell wasn't that bad. Not enough to keep me from using it. It was the first time, however, that the LOML asked if I was using chemicals downstairs? I use various types of finishing oils and varnishes and she never said anything so I figured that the acrylic smell was the culprit.

Again...not a "horrible, overpowering" smell by any means but noticeable.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2007, 5:04 PM
Great looking pens Jason! I like the way the grain turned out on the cocobolo - nice effect.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2007, 5:41 PM
Yep both are beauties but do like the coco one. Nice job.

John Chandler
03-26-2007, 5:48 PM
Good looking pens - nice work.