PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

Dave Bonde
03-26-2007, 3:03 PM
I need a 30 amp 120 volt GFI circuit. I have a Square D Homeline box and all I can find are double pole 30 amp breakers. Can I run one 110 v line in to that breaker or does it have to be a single pole breaker? Thanks Dave

Ted Miller
03-26-2007, 3:11 PM
Dave, Yes there are single pole 30 amp breakers, first check codes to see if you can use it for your application and make sure you are using the correct wire for that breaker...

Jack Dickey
03-26-2007, 3:21 PM
yeah you can do it ..

Dave Bonde
03-26-2007, 3:22 PM
Ted I can't find a single pole breaker. Square D had one for my box at one time but it shows that it is no longer made - Can I use a double pole breaker with one 110 line. Dave

Dave Bonde
03-26-2007, 3:23 PM
yeah you can do it ..

Thanks Jack!:)

Dave

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2007, 3:26 PM
Hi, what do you need the 30 ampere GFI circuit for?

GFCI is normally only used for portable tools or appliances, larger items do not use GFCI circuits. I can't imagine what portable tool you would own that required a 30 ampere circuit.

Regards, Rod.

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-26-2007, 4:48 PM
DO NOT TRY TO FEED 30 AMPS NORMAL HOUSE WIRE OR YOU WILL BE HURT !!!! . 30 AMPS is usually 220 volt for Dryer or Hot tub Why do you need 30 Amps 110 ????

John Ricci
03-26-2007, 4:59 PM
Is this for a small welder? There are surface mount 120/240v 30a made specifically for that. Add some 10ga. wire, the 30a breaker which could be a single or a double given that the double will trip the unused side anyway in the event of an overload...you don't have to use both sides.

My .02Cdn.
J.R.

Dave Bonde
03-26-2007, 9:27 PM
It is for a whirlpool bath and heater for the bath. It is a 10 gauge wire

Luciano Burtini
03-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Who cares what he needs it for? If you want 120volts, use EITHER a single pole breaker or 1/2 of a double pole breaker (not tied together). Then you can use the other side for something else in the future. As always, make sure your wire is appropriately sized (I think you need at least 10 guage - but please confirm this with your local code/inspector).

Ryan Myers
03-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Dave, go to your local Square D electric wholesaler/distributor. There is no need to waste extra money and space on a 2-pole breaker. The BORGS don't carry unique breakers like this. You need model HOM130GFI for the Homeline panel or QO130GFI for a QO style panel. If your breakers are the narrow breakers with the orange visi-trip window, then you have QO breakers.

Dave Bonde
03-27-2007, 9:03 AM
Thanks Ryan before I asked the question here I looked everywhere for the Hom130GFI with no luck, and it is no longer listed on the Square D website. If you know of a source that has one I would appreciate it if you would let me know.
Dave

Dave, go to your local Square D electric wholesaler/distributor. There is no need to waste extra money and space on a 2-pole breaker. The BORGS don't carry unique breakers like this. You need model HOM130GFI for the Homeline panel or QO130GFI for a QO style panel. If your breakers are the narrow breakers with the orange visi-trip window, then you have QO breakers.

Ted Miller
03-27-2007, 9:31 AM
Dave, I knew you would get many replies. Let me call my electrical distribitor today and see what he has, I am thinking a visi trip single QO would be about $11.00 not including shipping depending where you live. Is the breaker 3/4" wide...

Dave Bonde
03-27-2007, 9:54 AM
I think it is 3/4" but I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I don't think the breaker I am looking for is not 11.00

Ryan Myers
03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Dave after a quick review of my Square D catalog this morning. You are correct... they don't make a Homeline single pole 30a GFI breaker. They only make that size in the QO series.

My question to you is do you know that the heater actually draws more than 20 amps? I have hooked up a number of these units over the years and I can't recall any that ever used over a 20 amp circuit. So you may be able to get by with a 20 amp breaker. What is the total wattage?

Dave Bonde
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I have a in floor tile warming system that is also tied to the curcuit. It draws 8 amps. When I was doing my rough in I thought it would be easier to run 1 30 amp curcuit rather than two 20 amps but it is looking like that might not have been the best solution. thanks for the help.
Dave

Dave after a quick review of my Square D catalog this morning. You are correct... they don't make a Homeline single pole 30a GFI breaker. They only make that size in the QO series.

My question to you is do you know that the heater actually draws more than 20 amps? I have hooked up a number of these units over the years and I can't recall any that ever used over a 20 amp circuit. So you may be able to get by with a 20 amp breaker. What is the total wattage?

Ben Grunow
03-27-2007, 9:24 PM
Dave- find an old electrician and ask him to look in his pile of old breakers for you. They keep these old things for service calls and such.

Just a thought.

Ryan Myers
03-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Dave, a possible alternative solution- Most floor tile warming systems have built in GFI protection in the t-stat. So that would cover that portion. Then for the whirlpool heater you could install GFI receptacle or dead front GFI receptacle. Then use a 30A single pole breaker. Personally I am not a fan of using GFI receptacles for such, it can be done and meets all codes.

I did just notice your a fellow Iowan too. Not sure where your located from me, but I am a licensed electrician and would be willing to drive a short distance to give you a hand if needed. PM if you like, otherwise I hope this helps.