PDA

View Full Version : Finally...My first project

Matt Benton
03-26-2007, 2:46 PM
I've finally convinced myself that my shop is set up enough that I can start working on my first project. I'm going to build a bench that will go next to the front door to hold all of our shoes that seem to clutter the house so much. Probably something basic like a cedar blanket chest, only with an open front and a horizontal shelf.

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for what to use? I was thinking something easy to work with and affordable that would also finish pretty easily. Poplar, maybe? White Oak?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Fifield
03-26-2007, 2:49 PM
Oak. Hard wearing, relatively easy to work with and finish. Poplar is too soft for this application IMO. Good luck with your first project - don't forget to post some photos of it when you are done!

Roy McQuay
03-26-2007, 2:50 PM
I prefer white oak myself. For me, poplar is for painted projects.

Ken Werner
03-26-2007, 2:55 PM
If you don't mind it looking well used, pine and milk paint will be easy to use and will last. Think of some of the very old daily used pieces made of pine that have already survived their first century. It'll get dented maybe, but an easy to work wood like pine can be made to be quite strong with good design.
Post an image when you're done, please.
Ken

Matt Benton
03-26-2007, 5:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!

It looks like White Oak runs $5.50 for the quartersawn and $3.50 for the plainsawn.

Would the quartersawn be worth the difference?

Thanks!

Pete Brown
03-26-2007, 5:13 PM
Thanks for the replies!

It looks like White Oak runs $5.50 for the quartersawn and $3.50 for the plainsawn.

Thanks!

Quartersawn is more stable when it comes to wood movement. I personally prefer the look of Quartersawn or rift sawn vs. plain sawn, especially when it comes to Oak. Many folks like the plain sawn look, though, and you'll find more selection and wider pieces in that stock. I say pick what is available. :)

Pete

Gary Keedwell
03-26-2007, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks!

I think so. It won't cup on you like plain sawn. It is very stable and I just love the rays (specks)
Gary K.

Jesse Thornton
03-26-2007, 7:41 PM
Another vote for QS. Plainsawn oak is used so ubiquitously (and often tastelessly, IMNSHO) that I'm starting to find it really ugly. Besides the stability of QS, the cross flecks make it a billion times more interesting to look at.