PDA

View Full Version : Delta service

Bill Sampson
03-26-2007, 2:08 PM
Three years ago I purchased a Delta 580 2 spd planer. Didn't use it often, maybe 100 bd ft. and never could get it to run efficiently. Replaced the belt and got new brushes, but apparently this was not the problem. This weekend I attempted to finish plane some oak, and the motor slowed down and a burning smell resulted. Shut it down and used an old Delta I purchased 10 years ago.
Called Delta service today and explained my problem. Was told I would receive a call within the hour from someone in their tech dept. I did receive that call, (I believe his name was Steve) and I explained my problem with the machine. What I really wanted was a location of a service unit to have the planer repaired. What I received was a statement that the motor must have a defect and another one would be in the mail today as a replacement. He asked, "is this a fair fix for you're problem". "More than fair" was my response as the unit was not in warrenty and Delta didn't owe me anything. The motor is to be delivered to my home by next Monday.
I have several Delta and Porter Cable tools in my shop, and this is a big reason to continue buying their product.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Ted Miller
03-26-2007, 2:36 PM
Bill, That is great to hear, I have heard in the past about Delta's c/s not being the best. But the call you received and the action taken I would call this 110% satisfaction. Please keep us in the loop on how this turns out...

Jim Heagney
03-26-2007, 2:40 PM
I agree! It's the service that is important. I always have felt that anyone can make a mistake and put out a defective tool, or whatever it is, but the important thing is how they handle the issue for you when there is a problem.
You may have paid more money to get that Delta tool but it will now look like a good value purchase.
Jim

Stephen Clem
03-26-2007, 2:49 PM
That's great to hear. I purchased a Delta Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander recently. It worked great and saved me countless hours of sanding. However, right after the warranty expired, the sander started knocking while I was using it. The slightest pressure on the belt sander would cause it to stop. I could previously bear down really hard if needed. After reading your post, I think I'll try giving them a call. I have bad luck with things going wrong soon after warrantys expire. :mad:

glenn bradley
03-26-2007, 4:26 PM
That is how a company earns and keeps a customer. I love to hear about when they treat you right!