PDA

View Full Version : DC Recommendation

Ken Robb
12-21-2003, 9:29 AM
As my shop reorganizaton continues I am now focusing on a new DC. I only have a 110V circuit available for power. because of this, I am looking at several 1-1/2 to 2 hp dust collectors such as the Bridgewood BW-002A, Delta 50-850, and the Jet DC-1100A. All 3 have comparable CFM, static pressure, and cost around $300.00. Any recommendations on which is better or are there other models I have neglected.

Dick Parr
12-21-2003, 9:38 AM
Penn State has some nice DC.

Mark Singer
12-21-2003, 9:52 AM
As my shop reorganizaton continues I am now focusing on a new DC. I only have a 110V circuit available for power. because of this, I am looking at several 1-1/2 to 2 hp dust collectors such as the Bridgewood BW-002A, Delta 50-850, and the Jet DC-1100A. All 3 have comparable CFM, static pressure, and cost around $300.00. Any recommendations on which is better or are there other models I have neglected.

The Jet with the hard filter is great!
Mark

Byron Trantham
12-21-2003, 10:14 AM
I have the 50-850 and really like it. It's the first on only that I have owned so I don't have any way to compare it to others. I used 4" sewer pipe for the main line.

Jim Becker
12-21-2003, 10:54 AM
<i>WOOD Magazine</i> has reviewed both mid-priced "regular" DC systems that run on 120v (March 2002) and most recently, cyclones in the December 2003 issue. If you go with the former type, try to do whatever you can to be able to support a 240v 2+hp unit. (that's also required for the cyclones for the most part). Air flow is the name of the game in dust collection and the smaller machines will disappoint if you want to do more than just move a machine around from tool to tool. Additionally, filtration is as important as anything else...the really fine dust (.2-5 micron) is the real health hazard. (Anything smaller is not really filterable without spending a large fortune) The finer the filtration, the better, and in most cases that also means better performance.

Mark Singer
12-21-2003, 11:52 AM
<i>WOOD Magazine</i> has reviewed both mid-priced "regular" DC systems that run on 120v (March 2002) and most recently, cyclones in the December 2003 issue. If you go with the former type, try to do whatever you can to be able to support a 240v 2+hp unit. (that's also required for the cyclones for the most part). Air flow is the name of the game in dust collection and the smaller machines will disappoint if you want to do more than just move a machine around from tool to tool. Additionally, filtration is as important as anything else...the really fine dust (.2-5 micron) is the real health hazard. (Anything smaller is not really filterable without spending a large fortune) The finer the filtration, the better, and in most cases that also means better performance.

Jim,
Great advice ! I have the Oneida 2 HP and I am very happy with it. None of them are cheap...and when you consider the difference you pay for the Oneida its well worth it. The remote hand activater and reciever are a must!
Mark

Jim Becker
12-21-2003, 12:00 PM
The remote hand activater and reciever are a must!

Since I am very prone to "forget" that I have things like remote controls and tape measures on my person or wherever, I actually bought more wireless remote controls for my X-10 based remote system and have them located physically at each major workstation. No matter where I am in the shop, I don't have to fumble for a remote to turn the DC on or off and the remote doesn't end up somewhere in the house by accident any more like it did back in the "long ranger" days of old.