PDA

View Full Version : Post Parting Depression

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Dear Fellow Creekers

I am feeling a little down today :( I parted with my first table saw last night (I still have it in my little rented space). It's a Makita Portable with a factory stand 8 1/4" saw. I bought it for an addition and a garage at my previous home. This was a work horse I also built a Tall Oak Cabinet, and a Bookshelf for my Grandson. I purchased a portable Ridgid saw that seems to be very nice. The Saw is going to my Son-in-law with the stipulation that it be well taken care of. What a nice tool it is, It also served as my router table. I feel better now :)

Rob Bodenschatz
03-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Get over it.

It's a tool, not a puppy.

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
LOL! I'm sure it's in good hands...and YOU have the new tool...

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-26-2007, 10:17 AM
:D Dear Rob

My saw never peed on the garage floor or in the house

Rob Bodenschatz
03-26-2007, 10:21 AM
LOL. True. And the puppy's a lot more expensive, too.

Jim's thinking "Oh man. Why did I sell my puppy to this guy???"
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54385

:D

Jack Hogoboom
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Wish I felt that way about my first table saw, a craftsman benchtop model given to me by my ex-wife (I think she was hoping I would hurt myself....:rolleyes: ). I keep tripping over it. I try to give it away, but no one ever wants it....

J.

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Maybe my Son-In-Law would rather have YOUR Saw Jack:D

John Ricci
03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
How often do you get to sell a tool and still retain visitation rights? You don't! No loss there:D.

John Schreiber
03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
When we pour our hearts and minds into our work, some of it lands in the tools. When sold or given away, we are giving away things with which we have built a relationship. I understand completely.

Don Bullock
03-26-2007, 1:22 PM
Eugene, I'm sorry that you'll miss your old friend. I know that some day I'll feel the same about my Craftsman sander. Maybe your son-in-law will let you visit it once in a while.

I have no qualms about getting rid on my table saw. Sure it's the first woodworking machine I bought and I've done some great work with it, but I'm tired of messing with the fence and it's not worth the expense of buying a new fence.

Ryan Myers
03-26-2007, 1:48 PM
Well at least you can feel good that you can still visit right?

I use hand tools on a daily basis. When I lose a screwdriver or pliers that I have had for several plus years, it hurts. Sort of like losing one of the family.

David Jarrell
03-26-2007, 7:55 PM
:D Dear Rob

My saw never peed on the garage floor or in the house

Yep, all Grizzly saws come potty trained...can't say the same for you uni-fanboys!!

Ray Bersch
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
A few weeks ago I parted with my Ridgid TS2400, the model Eugene just bought I think - it was a fine saw, performed very well in all that I asked it to do, I liked it and called it my baby - but the motor was very, very loud - I could not even start it without ear protection - so I up-graded to a Delta Hybrid and sold the Ridgid - I even waved goodbye as it drove away with its new owner - I mentioned the loss to a few friends (who just looked at me quizzically) and pouted to my wife - but I put the new saw to use this weekend and I cannot tell you how pleased I am to have made the switch from that.....what was it??

Rob Bodenschatz
03-27-2007, 9:51 AM
I was only half-joking about the puppy comment. I simply don't get attached to my tools. When one wears down or breaks for whatever reason, I get a new one & move on. My only depression comes from the cost of buying the new tool.

I understand what you guys are saying, I just don't feel it. Guess I'm just cold-hearted.;)

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Rob you should look at your ability as a strength to turn your back on your faithful tools that did nothing but serve you:cool: . Is that a Monkey on your profile picture ? Maybe leaving your old tools can fall under the catagory so easy a caveman can do it :D .

Just kidding Rob!!!!

David Jarrell
03-27-2007, 1:34 PM
so easy a caveman can do it :D .

Hey, I'm offended by that comment!!! LOOOOLLLL!!!!

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 1:40 PM
The way to look at this is to reflect on the beautiful things you made on it in the past but ponder on the new things you'll make in the future. It all babances out that way.:rolleyes: I just stepped up to a 1442 lathe from the mini and Wood Workers even said I could trade in the jet mini towards the big one but I just couldn't part with my mini. I'm too attached to it so it's now the jet 3 wheel buffer.:D