PDA

View Full Version : Dust Mask - I should know better!

Art Mulder
03-26-2007, 9:22 AM
In hopes that others can learn from my mistakes...

Yesterday I was using my router to cut a rabbet in a cherry project.
I was using it freehand, as the cherry was already assembled in a square frame (two frames, about 12x45" in size), and I was cutting a rabbet on the inside edge to receive a panel.

I've got a great router (Hitachi M12V), but it does not have any provision for dust collection. No big deal, this isn't a big job. I've got the air-cleaner fan going.

Not.

About halfway through I paused and realized that this was making a far far bigger mess than I had anticipated. Dust everywhere. Oh well, I'm almost done, I'll just get through it.

Of course, it took a bit longer than I had anticipated. But I got the job done.

However, last night and this morning, I can feel it in my lungs when I take a deep breath. A bit of tightness down inside.

Doofus.

I've even got a dust mask.
But I don't like wearing it.

I should have anyway.
I will NOT do this again! I've only got one set of lungs, and I don't want to spend my remaining years wheezing (or worse). I will either wear the mask, look into making a good downdraft table, or maybe pick up one of those Triton powered respirators.

Doofus squared.

Jason Roehl
03-26-2007, 7:51 PM
According to my friend (who has a Masters in Industrial Hygiene and used to paint with me), dust masks are pretty much worthless because they only filter out what would get caught in your nose, mouth and throat anyway. They let the really harmful stuff right through--the smallest particles that go deep into your lungs. A properly fit N100 mask MIGHT work, but a properly fit respirator is the only way to go, IMHO. N95 (and lower) paper masks just don't cut it. Personally I like the 3M 7500 series half-mask respirators. The seal is a soft silicone-like material that seals well even against my beard when I have it (I know, facial hair isn't allowed...)

Rick Peek
03-26-2007, 8:37 PM
I always wear a resperator .Sanding,finishing & cutting.

Hank Walczak
03-26-2007, 9:29 PM
According to my friend (who has a Masters in Industrial Hygiene and used to paint with me), dust masks are pretty much worthless because they only filter out what would get caught in your nose, mouth and throat anyway. They let the really harmful stuff right through--the smallest particles that go deep into your lungs. A properly fit N100 mask MIGHT work, but a properly fit respirator is the only way to go, IMHO. N95 (and lower) paper masks just don't cut it. Personally I like the 3M 7500 series half-mask respirators. The seal is a soft silicone-like material that seals well even against my beard when I have it (I know, facial hair isn't allowed...)
Art-
I know what you mean. I suspect most of us have been there, done that, AND knew we shouldn't have. Thanks for the reminder.

Jason -
This has been of interest to me for a while too. I assume, Jason, that the dust masks you refer to are what may be catagorized as "nuisance dust filters". If the filter has a NIOSH MSDA rating of N95 or N100 and it is fitted properly would surely be sufficient for hobbyist use. The PEL (Permissable Exposure Limit) and the REL (Recommended Exposure Limit) could not be reached in an non-industrial hobbist environment. I agree that there are many respirators that are much more confortable than other types of dust mask protection and if it's more comfortable you will be inclined to wear it more often if not all the time. Even so, your 3M unit only has the 95 & 100 cartridges for it. The most important aspects of dust control are to reduce it at it's source, use dilution ventilation, and adequate PPE (Personal Protecton Equipment) properly used. All three need to work together to provide a safe environment. But for those that were unaware of the confort level obtained by a respirator, your comment on them should be appreciated.

I found these interesting reading, if not a little hard to interpretin places:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/wooddustallsoftandhardwoodsexceptwesternredcedar/recognition.html#personalhygiene
(http://http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/wooddustallsoftandhardwoodsexceptwesternredcedar/recognition.html#personalhygiene)
http://www.trustcrm.com/ectny/respiratory_advisor/oshafiles/resp_toc.html

Hank
(Who wants to keep the lungs he has)

Art Mulder
03-26-2007, 9:51 PM
According to my friend (who has a Masters in Industrial Hygiene and used to paint with me), dust masks are pretty much worthless

Actually, when I said dust mask, I meant a half-face respirator that I bought at LVT some years ago.

Ray Bersch
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Perhaps this was the weekend for dust infections - I spent the weekend making two cabinets - I have a d/c and use it for cutting and power sanding but by Sunday night I was beginning to feel congested - by this afternoon I began to really feel I have a serious respiratory infection and I will see a doctor tomorrow because this came on pretty fast - this is the first time this has happened and I don't know if it is caused by the dust or just exasperated by the dust - I do have a suitable respirator but seldom use it - perhaps that is about to change.

Mark Singer
03-27-2007, 12:42 AM
This is a pretty good comfortable mask....reasonable and comfortable enough that it will get used!

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Woodworkers-Respirator-95190/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9280923-5520712?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174970395&sr=8-1

Jason Roehl
03-27-2007, 7:34 AM
Hank, I should clarify a bit, too. That same friend of mine went on to work for a company that built and tested air quality monitoring systems. OSHA may have standards, but remember--they ARE a gov't agency. It takes a long time for standards to change. HEPA is a pretty good standard, but N95 is not HEPA, so it is letting the smallest dust particles through, which are the most harmful. The larger particles would get caught in your nose and throat if you weren't wearing a mask, and would be a nuisance, but generally aren't harmful--mostly just causing irritation and coughing. When I was referring to N95 and N100 masks, I was talking about the disposable kind. The 3M 7500 series mask is not disposable, and requires at least some sort of vapor cartridge (and they come with pre-filters). Here it is, sans cartridges (3M trapezoidal type):

http://www.amazon.com/3M-7503-Half-Facepiece-Respirator/dp/B0007XAO06/ref=sr_1_1/102-2728471-6441756?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174995304&sr=1-1

Paper masks can also become saturated with sweat and humidity (from your breathing) which greatly reduces airflow--also not real good for your health. BTDT.

David Weaver
03-27-2007, 7:40 AM
I agree that the disposable masks aren't as good, but if someone insists on wearing them, the 3m disposables with the breathe out valve aren't really too bad. They're not paper, either, and they're not ultra cheap. The little wafery paper things are trash and are useless unless you're trying to stop from breathing in gnats or bugs or whatever else (might not even stop that if they can get in a gap).

I use a half-face respirator that has OV and N95 cartridges. I don't do enough to worry about the long-long term consequences of the dust, but I do have asthma, and even this weekend, I ripped and planed two 6 ft oak boards to glue together for a router fence, and then ripped and planed a pine board to practice hand dovetailing, and I still have a tickle in my throat from the coughing I did later that night. I have dust collection on the planer, but not an offical hepa collection, and just in that short time, it was enough.

Having the OV/Dust combined in one makes life a lot better when you're finishing - no thought, just put the mask on, and avoid the solvent-based out of body experiences and bulging-feeling eye syndrome that seems to go with it.

Al Willits
03-27-2007, 8:53 AM
Mark, you feel pretty comfortable with the job that one does?
I have a different one I used for painting and it works great, but its so uncomfortable I rarely use it.
The one you suggested looks like it'd be much easier to deal with, thus I'd use it more.

Al...who's been doing pretty well with the 3M cheapo's...cough...cough...kinda :)

Mark Singer
03-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Mark, you feel pretty comfortable with the job that one does?
I have a different one I used for painting and it works great, but its so uncomfortable I rarely use it.
The one you suggested looks like it'd be much easier to deal with, thus I'd use it more.

Al...who's been doing pretty well with the 3M cheapo's...cough...cough...kinda :)

It is a pretty comfortable mask and it is small. I bought it based on the reviews and I must admit I use it a lot more than the 3m valve type. I wear glasses or eye protection and it does not fog nearly as much. I have been shaping the chair seats from zebra and the mask is manditory.

Al Willits
03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Mark, and like the ear muffs I just got, I'll get a couple of them masks, much easier to use if ya can see/find them and they're with in reach..:)

Al

Ray Bersch
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Mark, how does it work with the beard? I am thinking it might be more comfortable than the one I have which works well with the beard but is very large (got it for working with epoxy vapors and would need different filters for wood dust.)
Ray

Ted Miller
03-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I wear a respirator for sanding and cutting MDF. Planning and using the TS I use the 3M masks. Since I work in a garage/shop as soon as I finish using blades I open the 2 car door and turn my industrial 25" fan on exhausting to the outside. I use a DC as well on all machines. But you can never be safe enough from dust. Now that I am getting older I am starting to feel allergies problems more often and they are getting worse as I do more work in my shop. I don't care how the mask feels when I am wearing it since I know its helping my lungs and I do change my cartridges often...

Paul Fitzgerald
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone have the AO Safety Quicklatch PRO Dual Cartridge Respirator #95090 (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Quicklatch-Respirator-95090/dp/B0000DCBDQ/ref=sr_1_7/104-6949155-7243930?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1175006620&sr=1-7)?

I like the fact that you can easily drop it out of the way without removing it when you want to take a break.

Paul

Stephen Clem
03-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm sure some of the respiratory problems occuring recently are due to the large amounts of pollon floating around. Not sure about other areas of the US, but around the Southeast, the pollen is so thick it looks more dusty outside my shop than inside. It affects me each Spring.

Greg Stanford
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Where do the "dust be gone" masks fall inall of this? That's been what I've used & I don't know if I've been doing myself anygood or not.

Ted Miller
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Stephen, The pollen count at 120 causes some problems with folks but lately in my area we have seen 2200 counts. Man we are dying over here on the coast...

John Michaels
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
I've been using the North 7700 half mask with the Hepa filter. I do wood working as a hobby, not production. Any opinions on whether this setup provides adequate protection.

Byron Trantham
03-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Hank, I should clarify a bit, too. That same friend of mine went on to work for a company that built and tested air quality monitoring systems. OSHA may have standards, but remember--they ARE a gov't agency. It takes a long time for standards to change. HEPA is a pretty good standard, but N95 is not HEPA, so it is letting the smallest dust particles through, which are the most harmful. The larger particles would get caught in your nose and throat if you weren't wearing a mask, and would be a nuisance, but generally aren't harmful--mostly just causing irritation and coughing. When I was referring to N95 and N100 masks, I was talking about the disposable kind. The 3M 7500 series mask is not disposable, and requires at least some sort of vapor cartridge (and they come with pre-filters). Here it is, sans cartridges (3M trapezoidal type):

http://www.amazon.com/3M-7503-Half-Facepiece-Respirator/dp/B0007XAO06/ref=sr_1_1/102-2728471-6441756?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174995304&sr=1-1

Paper masks can also become saturated with sweat and humidity (from your breathing) which greatly reduces airflow--also not real good for your health. BTDT.

I bought the 3M unit and really like it. It is very comfortable, easy to take off and put on. I actually use it. The nicest thing about the 3M unit is is does not fog up my glasses. The biggest indicator of how much stuff is floating around my shop was shown by replacing the 3-compartment secondary filter in my JDS overhead air filter. I just replaced it and was shocked at how much saw dust was in the pre-filter in such a short amount of time! Not being able to see the stuff doesn't mean it isn't there!

Greg Cole
03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Paul,
I have the old version of that AO canister mask and the quick release style. Both work well, but the quick release is a nice feature.
I use the old one for spraying paint, finishes etc where I am going in a booth for longer times. The quick release one is for the on & off & on & off of sanding parts n pieces etc.... just unbuckle the little latch thing on the top of the head and let it hang... one flip of the latch and back on it goes.
It's nice to have one for finishing and one for dusty stuff as the combination of finishing and using anything dusty is inherrently a BAD idea...DAMHIKT.

Greg

Mike Monroe
03-27-2007, 1:48 PM
The silicone face piece is much more comfortable than the old AO safety mask I used previously. I have the pink P100 dust filters on it 95% of the time. When I use a smelly finish I switch over to the organic vapor filters. I wear the mask pretty religiously when in the shop, though I don't normally wear it when hand planing or hand sawing.

-Mike

Jason Roehl
03-27-2007, 5:51 PM
The 7500 flips out of the way easily, too. You leave the clasp behind your neck attached, and just slide the over-the-head straps off to the front so that it is hanging around your neck in front. Of course, with my buzzcut, my hair doesn't get messed up doing this, if that's a concern for anyone...

Eric Wong
03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Where do the "dust be gone" masks fall inall of this? That's been what I've used & I don't know if I've been doing myself anygood or not.

The "Dust-Bee-Gone" masks are essentially worthless (just my opinion). Its rated as a nuisance mask, so they stop fewer particles than the lowest level paper/fiber masks. I assume "Bee" is in the name because anything smaller than a bee will fly right through.:D