PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch “Planet Earth”

Bruce Page
03-26-2007, 9:21 AM
on Discovery HD last night? Extraordinary television!

Jack Hogoboom
03-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Agreed. I watched three episodes in a row. Fantastic TV.

Jack

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
It got a great review at MSNBC.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17770850/site/newsweek/

Maybe I'll have to consider watching TV sometime... ;)

Phyllis Meyer
03-26-2007, 11:56 AM
We watched last night, excellent show! Thought it might be cool to ask what other shows we all have as favorites? We have a variety...History Channel, How It's Made, Made In America, Desparate Housewives, (yes the hubby watches too), Boston Legal, Grey's Anatamy, and my new favorite...Trick My Truck!:)

Have A Great Day Everyone!
Phyllis

Craig D Peltier
03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow it was cool, that bird doing its dance was amazing, didnt even look like a bird. Also the snow leopard wow! The golden eagle htting that crane an tumbling,wow! Thos ecranes that went over those mountains an you see there altitudes changing rapidly with drafts. That was only one epsisode.

Also I think it was on the off topic forum.
"Alone in the Wilderness" I watched that DVD it was amazing.If we want to starts a pass around of it,I dont need it back since I made a dup I can send it somewhere and people can keep it going around.Amazing story of a guy who moves to the interior of Alaska and makes everything he needs with hand tools.Including hinges and locks for his doors.The guy was amazing and the story very tranquil and beautiful. I think it was 1968.

Jack Hogoboom
03-26-2007, 4:40 PM
Jim,

The problem is that you can't TiVo it unless you have a high-def TiVo. You may have to watch it live.

The real story here is the advance in technology. The producers were on the Today show talking about how they were able to use cameras continuously record (like black box recorders) and allow them to choose the few seconds of material they want to keep. Also, the snow leopard sequence was shot from over a mile away!! Some of the filming techniques are just amazing.

Nature photography has come a long way since Marlin Perkins and "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom."

Greg Cole
03-26-2007, 5:35 PM
I personally rarely sit in front of the black box (thanks Mom for BEATING that into my head as a child!).
About the only thing I MUST SEE for the tube is watching the Red Wings... so call me a puckhead.
However, have a 5 year old boy who LOVES any creepy, crawly, swimmy and moving creature in the world... I've become a big fan of these types of series. They have info for all ages and some of the footage is just awesome.... I have to wonder how many bazillions of hours are shot to snip down to the few hours we see. Blue Planet is another good one.
I can't bring myself to commit to any plasma, HD, LCD or insert the next best version here _______ (good way to start a techie "fight" is to say one version of tv is better than another, like someone in the Creek mentioning German made power tools in green & blue!LOL) ... but I can see where they would be awesome with this type of show.

Tim Morton
03-26-2007, 5:37 PM
I watched it in high def...excellent PQ.;)

Kind of tough watching some of the scenes with my daughter, she was not digging the little baby being eaten.:(

Jason Roehl
03-26-2007, 7:45 PM
SHHH! Don't spoil it! I've got the 3 episodes off Discovery HD Theater on my DVR (taking up a whole heckuvalotta space, I might add). I'm looking forward to seeing them. The previews looked pretty cool.

Tim Wagner
03-27-2007, 2:06 AM
The problem is that you can't TiVo it unless you have a high-def TiVo. You may have to watch it live.

It also aired on regular discover channle also. but I also saw it in Hi Def. Great Photography.

Keith Starosta
03-27-2007, 7:11 AM
Like Tim said, you can Tivo it in regular definition, which is unfortunately the way I have to do it right now. :(

I've got the first three recorded, but have only seen the first one, called "Mountains". It was very cool!!!

- Keith

Jason Roehl
03-27-2007, 7:22 AM
The DVR from my cable co. (Motorola DCT6412III) allows me to record HD shows in HD--very cool, but they take up lots of space (120GB drive can hold ~15 hours of HD content, 40 hours of SD). I can also record 2 shows at once, while watching a recorded show.

Tim Wagner
03-27-2007, 10:34 AM
The DVR from my cable co. (Motorola DCT6412III) allows me to record HD shows in HD--very cool, but they take up lots of space (120GB drive can hold ~15 hours of HD content, 40 hours of SD). I can also record 2 shows at once, while watching a recorded show.

You may be able to get an external SATA drive to increase recording capacity. If there is a SATA port on the back then most likly you can.

Jason Roehl
03-27-2007, 5:56 PM
Tim, it does have the SATA port, and I believe there are ways to hook it to a computer for more capacity, but from what I've read it's not as straightforward as it should be. That, and the SATA port may be disabled from the factory if my cable provider ordered them that way.

Oh, how I long for a one-digital-cable-daisy-chain setup. Everything plug and play. With all the components I have (7, I think), there is quite the rats nest behind my EC.

Dan Drager
03-27-2007, 6:53 PM
Agreed. Finally, some incredible TV of this type that isn't one big global warming commercial. It shows the unbeleivable diversity of our planet. We have weirder things living here than any sci-fi writer could ever come up with. Keep those DVR's fired up as it is a complete 11 hour series with 2 hours each Sunday through April.

Dave Fifield
03-27-2007, 7:35 PM
Not outstanding video quality, but this BBC4 documentary on the subject of global warming is very interesting and a "must see" IMO:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2332531355859226455&q=The+Great+Global+Warming+Swindle+2007 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2332531355859226455&q=The+Great+Global+Warming+Swindle+2007)

Eric Wong
03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Tivo'ed it, watched it today. Wow! I said that even on standard def.

I've already ordered the DVD set from Discovery.com.