PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Grizzly G0586 Jointer (Almost a Gloat)

Todd Hoppe
03-26-2007, 8:07 AM
Well, thanks to the good advice of many on this board, I purchased a Grizzly G0586 jointer with dovetailed ways. I thought seriously about the G0490 with parallelogram tables, but couldn't justify the extra $200.

It arrived via truck to my wife's work, and their warehouse man loaded into my trailer with no problem. It wasnt' until I got it home that I realized its so heavy, I'll have a heck of a time getting it to the basement. Crated, two people can't even lift it.

Now the question... I'll be taking it to the basement in pieces. How far can I tear it down without creating a huge nightmare on reassembly?

I have the fence assembly removed, but don't want to pull one of the tables off if reinstalling and realligning will be too difficult. Will I ever be able to get it back together, and properly aligned?

Joe Chritz
03-26-2007, 8:13 AM
Haven't ever tried that and I doubt that I would. Someone with some rebuild experience may chime in on that issue.

Beyond taking the head out there isn't much more I would do to it. First thing I would try is a furniture dolly. I should ride in the crate ok as long as it is strapped to the dolly.

You should update you profile to show your location. Someone may have one you could borrow or could offer more specific advice.

Joe

Todd Hoppe
03-26-2007, 8:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. Getting the machine into the house (on the flat and level) isn't the hard part. That is where a dolly would help. The biggest problem is safely getting it down the stairs.

I'd imagine that I now have it to a reasonable state of disassembly. I think I will just get it cleaned up, and possibly make a MDF sled to slide it down the stairs.

Brad Townsend
03-26-2007, 8:40 AM
I have one of those and don't envy you trying to move it downstairs. You realize that if you ever sell the house, the jointer will have to go with it.:D

Todd Hoppe
03-26-2007, 8:58 AM
The workbench will stay, but if I have to cut a hole in the floor and rent a hoist all the tools will come with me!

scott kinninger
03-26-2007, 9:29 AM
I have a g0586 also that I got down my steps with one other person. What you want to do is make a sled that you can set the jointer table on and then just slide down the steps (I have carpeted steps, not sure how well this would work if your steps are finished hardwood). I cut a piece of 3/4 particle board that's double sided with melamine into maybe a 30"x24" piece, with one of the 24" edges cut at a 45 degree bevel, that will be the leading edge so it can slip down the steps easier. Now take some measurements of the jointer table base, it's about 20"x 9 1/2". Take some scraps and cut them up into about 1"x1"x9" (the size isnt real critical) and screw those to the melamine board in a manner to create a bed for the jointer table to be nestled in. Now all you have to do is lift the jointer into this and you can slide it around any carpeted area and down the steps, the scrap wood holds it in place on all sides. If you have concrete floors that don't allow you to slide something like this around I think you could probably throw some shuffleboard sand on the floor, you could probably move it by yourself then.
The hardest part still is actually lifting the jointer bed!

Hope this makes sense.

Scott Loven
03-26-2007, 9:37 AM
Strap the box to a refrigerator dolly, I did it with my two teen-age boys. I rented it for $5.00 for two hours.
Scott

Todd Hoppe
03-26-2007, 9:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Now that I've removed the fence assembly, the weight is probably manageable with one other person. I'll put together a sled to move it down the stairs, and just have to get some rigging hooked up safely, and keep it from getting away from us while sliding down the steps (carpeted).

Jim Thiel
03-26-2007, 2:53 PM
Hey Todd, I've got a hand truck. I've used it to get both a cab. saw and large shaper down the stairs by myself, shouldn't be a problem for the jointer. I'm very near Wyoming Park HS if you want to use it.

Jim

Todd Hoppe
03-27-2007, 8:21 AM
Jim, thanks for the offer! I have a hand truck, but its just a little unweildy, and I don't want to tip the thing completely on end. I've got the jointer in a condition now that once I clean off the shipping grease, it should be pretty manageable to get it downstairs.

Thanks again,

John Crough
03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Todd, congratulations on your new jointer. I just got my G0586 on Monday and had the same concerns about moving it into the basement as well. I have to addmit that I was a bit overwhelmed when the semi showed up infront of my house, the good news was the driver had a palate jack so getting it into the garage was not a problem. I had two "unlucky" friends help me move it into the basement. We had to move it thru the mud room, kitchen, dinning room, living room, and then down to the basement. Glad my wife wasn't home to see that! I had 2 guys on one end that walked it down infront and I alone on the back end. It took a couple of rest breaks but we got it done. I did the same thing as you and took off the fence assembly. It probably would would be a little more easy with 4 guys. Your efforts will be rewarded, as it is a great jointer! Good luck.

Don Bullock
03-29-2007, 7:43 AM
Todd, congratulations on your new jointer. Good luck with it. Once it's set up, enjoy.

I must say that I don't envy your task of getting it down into your shop. :eek: Here in California we don't have basements and I've often missed not having one, but when I read about someone like you trying to get one of those monsters down the stairs, I'm glad I have my shop in a garage with easy access from a concrete driveway. :D

Craig D Peltier
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
I was just thinking about the same thing.I lived in CA for 12 years from E coast an it took adjustiing too, now I live in WA and I dont think there used here too heavily either.
BTW I get my Grizzly today.Going in garage, I hope to have driver pump up jack high as it goes,Stick what I can under it so its closer to table base height.Then I have one guy coming by tommorrow morning to help and my gal.Wish us luck!

Todd, congratulations on your new jointer. Good luck with it. Once it's set up, enjoy.

I must say that I don't envy your task of getting it down into your shop. :eek: Here in California we don't have basements and I've often missed not having one, but when I read about someone like you trying to get one of those monsters down the stairs, I'm glad I have my shop in a garage with easy access from a concrete driveway. :D

Michael Marcinelli
03-30-2007, 12:33 AM
i just received mine yesterday. one trick i used was to buy a come-along/winch system that i chained to the main support beam in my basement and i lifted the table (keeping the fence on) and got it onto the base. i was too impatient to wait for friends to help so i did it myself and this method worked fine.