PDA

View Full Version : It all started here....

Tom Cowie
03-26-2007, 6:04 AM

It might not look like much but this little scrollsaw got me into woodworking. It was a Christmas gift.

I still have times when I go to the shop and just build projects with just it. It's like a old friend.

What were some of your first tools ?..

Tom

Ron Blaise
03-26-2007, 7:01 AM
That my mother gave me years ago. I have given it to my son-in-law. I think the first tools I got myself were a Dewalt planer (he has that too now) and a DeWalt table saw which I still have. Then an old 12" Craftsman band-saw (he has that too) and a floor model drill press. I had to wait until I actually had space for a shop. Haven't looked back since.

Gary Keedwell
03-26-2007, 7:16 AM

It might not look like much but this little scrollsaw got me into woodworking. It was a Christmas gift.

I still have times when I go to the shop and just build projects with just it. It's like a old friend.

What were some of your first tools ?..

Tom

My first tool expressly for woodworking was probably my Borcsh scroll saw that helped me build a set of Adirondack chairs along with good old Norm.

Gary K.:)

Lou Ferrarini
03-26-2007, 7:18 AM
A little over 30 years ago, the wife bought me a sears router. She had no idea of the can of worms she was opening.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-26-2007, 8:53 AM

So it is the fault of that craftsman scroll saw?
You had to buy that powermatic planar because of the craftsman?

I think I see some delta grey cast iron back there too.

Look this is a serious problem. I think you may have a claim in tort against Sears. If you want, PM me and I can try to find you a colleague in your area who can help you in your quest for vindication in the courts and compensation for entrapping you so terribly in this addiction.

Maybe if you win you can buy more tools. ;-p

Fred Voorhees
03-26-2007, 8:59 AM
Don't know if it was exactly the FIRST tool that I had, but what initially got me pointed towards serious woodworking was the tablesaw that my grandfather gave to me, oh, about twenty years ago. He was a mason/carpenter and he had two tablesaws. I had always shown an interest in what he was doing and he gave me one of the tablesaws to get started. From there it was a while before I really made the leap into it seriously, but that tablesaw was the true beginning of my wanting to take up the hobby.

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 9:06 AM
An orange Black and Decker 7 1/2" circular saw that I got as a wedding gift for my first marriage back in...1979. But I wouldn't consider that the start of my woodworking adventure since that didn't start until the late 1990s. But I still have that circular saw!

Don Bullock
03-26-2007, 9:13 AM
The tools that my dad had while I was growing up were what got me started. One I especially remember was a Montgomery Wards RAS. I look back at my memories of that saw and wish I had it now. The first woodworking tool that I bought after getting married is that Craftsman table saw that I still have today (soon to be replaced however).