PDA

View Full Version : Sealer

Gregg Feldstone
03-26-2007, 3:41 AM
What's the best sealer to use for blanks? I live where it's very warm and moist. How long can I leave a piece before applying more sealer.

George Tokarev
03-26-2007, 7:54 AM
If it's warm and moist where you live, sealer is superfluous for turned blanks. Might even be a detriment, as I discovered when experimenting with it. Mildew grows readily where it's warm and moist, and is most unattractive.

Unturned can be left in the log if the bark's firm, or trimmed into slabs. There you want a good water emulsion wax coating, or some cardboard stapled to the endgrain.

Mark Pruitt
03-26-2007, 8:03 AM
What's the best sealer to use for blanks? I live where it's very warm and moist. How long can I leave a piece before applying more sealer.
Anchorseal. Your climate might afford you more grace time than where it's dry, but I'd still seal it. If you begin to see the log splitting at the end it certainly needs to be sealed. If you can't get your hands on any Anchorseal, any other wax emulsion product should work. Some use paint but I haven't had great results with it. In emergencies I have used glue--pretty expensive to use as a sealer but it works.

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2007, 3:47 PM
Gregg, I have the opposite problem, it's pretty dry in Toronto in the winter, so I put sealer on log ends and blanks to keep the moisture in.

I use Lee Valley Log Sealer, works great...............Rod.

William Bachtel
03-26-2007, 9:03 PM
l-888 end coat