PDA

View Full Version : DC help!

Jonathon Spafford
03-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok... this is probably going to raise a little controversy, but I need some advice! As with a lot of you, my garage and my shop are synonomous :rolleyes: Anyway, I am beginning to realize that I'll need some form of dust collection. I have a respirator, but most people agree that this is not enough especially since dust is going to be tracked inside and so I am trying to find info about different dust collectors. Some say that a little shop collector for a small space is all that is necessary. Others say that a little dust collector is more like a chip collector and the really small dust particles aren't being collected properly and they advise a cyclone. I am kinda confused about the different stuff out there especially because this dust issue is relatively new and nobody can agree! ;) Can anybody give some advice about what kind of set up I should be using for my garage? I got allergies in my family and I don't think that a respirator and open garage doors are going to cut it!

Anthony Anderson
03-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Jonathon, I would suggest a 1100cfm dust collector with a canister filter that filters down to 1 or 2 microns. I have the Jet 1100, which I like and does a fine job hooked to multiple tools via a 6" main trunk line and 4" to the machines. But my 1100 does not have the canister, and dust still escapes from the bags. Now don't get me wrong, it is still a huge improvement over nothing, but you will really benefit from the better filtration of the canister type DC, especially since you have allergies in your family. This, along with a portable air filter (some like them, some don't, I happen to like them), that is mounted on some sort of mobile base (since you are in the garage), will clear away most of the chips and the finer particles which may give you or family members allergy problems. Of course a cyclone would be the cream of the crop, but I have never felt the need for one, as my Jet DC has done all I have asked of it. I will be upgrading to a canister kit in the near future. Good Luck, Bill

Neal Addy
03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Boy, have I been there. You'll get 50 different answers!

All I can tell you is what I use. I make no claims that it is the best solution but it works well for me. I personally think it was worth the money and I'm certain my lungs will thank me in 20 years.

BTW, I also turn in a 2-car "studio".

Here's my setup:
1) Delta 50-760 Dust Collector w/"Big Gulp" hood parked near the work piece
2) Jet AFS-1000B Air Filtration System hanging from the ceiling directly over the lathe
3) Trend Airshield parked on the ol' noggin
4) Open garage door

M Toupin
03-26-2007, 4:35 AM
You've probably already figured it out, but dust collection can get a bit heated:)

As long as you're moving enough air with a decent blower it's all comes down to your filters. A good quality bag will do just as good as a good quality canister filter, it's all about the filtering ability. On the other hand, a crappy filter is just as bad as a crappy bag... The system, be it a roll around or a cyclone is more a means to an end. The object is to move enough air to get the fine stuff and the chips into a container of some sort and then exhaust clean air so you don't have to breath the dust.

There are several decent quality roll around units using either a good felt bag or canister filter that will do a good job for you. Despite all the hoopla, cyclones do the same basic operation in that they collect the dust and chips and dump them into a container of some sort, usually a drum. True that the cyclone is a bit more efficient in separating the dust which means your filters last longer between cleanings, but the bottom line is they do essentially the same thing. Cyclones generally have the advantage in that emptying them is a lot easier and generally less messy than a bag system. Bag systems can be a real PITA to empty and can create a heck of a mess in the process. Planners make a LOT of chips in a hurry. Emptying bags can get to be a real chore if you deal with a lot of rough lumber.

I personally upgraded to a cyclone for the ease of emptying. I got real tired of fighting with the plastic bag on my old roll around and the mess it made. The cyclone is much easier and quicker to empty. The draw back is it's not portable. Each system has it's pluses and minuses, the trick is to figure out what's best for your particular situation and get a quality system with decent filtration. The other option is to vent outside if you live a area were that's an option. Sometimes climate and neighbors effect that decision though:(

Mike

M Toupin
03-26-2007, 4:49 AM
Forgot to mention, I also have a air cleaner of sorts, lots of controversy on them too:) I personally have one and have been very happy with it. I built a unit from a reclaimed 2 speed furnace blower. It's just a box with 3 sets of progressively finer filters. The box pulls air in from the sides and vents out the bottom. I used baffles to direct the airflow out and down at about a 60deg angle. I'm in a 1 car garage with the overhead door at one end and a regular door at the other. I hung the unit over the doorway with the exhaust toward the overhead door. As it's a furnace blower it moves a LOT of air! It works well as a filter when everything is closed up, but also works great as a fan when the doors are open. I usually work with the overhead open and it's nice to have a breeze, especially in the summer.

Mike

Jack Savona
03-26-2007, 7:42 AM
If the garage doors are usually open (or not), you could get a cheap box fan and attach a washable, low-micron-rated filter to its indraft side. Put that next to where you're sanding and you'll see the dust head right to that filter. Quieter than a DC too.
The Borg has the square, plastic furnace filters for $20-25 that have (if I recall) a .3 micron rating, better than any DC I've seen. Wally sells the fans for about $10.
While I have a DC hooked up to 3 machines, I run my box fan all the time as an ambient air filter.

Jack

George Tokarev
03-26-2007, 7:48 AM
Floor space and machine types should be your first concern. If you have your machines basically stored out of the way and pulled into the open for use, get a roll-around. I like my old Delta which has the motor/impeller on top of a 30 gallon can, because it's both the "cyclone" DC and the vacuum once the smaller hose is fitted to the adapter. The can dolly makes it easy to move from machine to machine.

You can believe in filtering or trapping, whichever you care. Trapping involves creating so many ways for the air and dust to leave that the pressure in any is low enough to let the dust fall into a slow spot. Filtering is about trying to push through a fine sieve, and is best suited to units with cyclones ahead, because every new piece of fiber soon becomes felted against the original barrier, creating finer and finer filtration until its gone.

Look at the CFM @ Pressure figures for your prospective units. Lower pressure wants lots of air exits, higher will take filters.

As to the track-in problem, no combination will solve that unless you strip naked and walk through a shower. Let time be your ally, and maybe a nice lab coat. I kick off my Crocs or Birkis at the shop door and hang the clothes or take them out to shake. Whatever's in the air will settle for later pickup.

Imagine the allergies are to dust mites and critter parts, like most folks' , not to cellulose, so electrostatic precipitators and such aren't really necessary.

Doug Arndt
03-26-2007, 1:23 PM
.... Can anybody give some advice about what kind of set up I should be using for my garage? I got allergies in my family and I don't think that a respirator and open garage doors are going to cut it!

Jonathon,

Do spend some research time with Bill Pentz at www.billpentz.com, select the "dust collection & cyclone" link.
You're right to be concerned about your family with an attached shop.

Jonathon Spafford
05-02-2007, 3:09 AM
I didn't realize that this topic got moved so I kinda lost track of the thread... Anyway, thanks all for your help! Great ideas and I'll look into getting someting set up soon!

Mike Heidrick
05-02-2007, 8:46 AM
A person on woodnet mentioned that the 50-760 may be clearenced at Lowes. May want to check there if you are looking for a 1.5hp model.

Steven Wilson
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Being in a garage has no bearing on your need for a DC. The machines in my garage are large and mobile (MM CU350, Oneway 2436, MM20), the DC is fixed and sits in a corner (Oneida 2HP commercial), and the DC piping runs along the ceiling to drops above the machines (6" metal). With 5 minutes of work I can fit a car in the garage too. When it's nice out I open the garage doors and run a large fan, during the winter I work on projects that kick up less dust (especially MDF dust) and use handtools more (shavings aren't dust).