PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a hollowing rig.

Bill Wyko
03-25-2007, 10:52 PM
I know there's been a few posts about hollowing rigs in the recent past but I might order one tomorrow and I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thanks.

Bob Hallowell
03-26-2007, 8:29 AM
Bill I am no expert as I have only used it once and have only made one HF but I do like my monster-tool.

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2007, 9:56 AM
Bill, this is a serious tool buy and each turner needs to analyze them all to determine which will work best for their individual needs. Different manufacturer's tools take different hollowing tools bits etc.

I recently bought the Jamieson and have been happy with it.

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
I own the Jamison and like it a lot. There isn't a "huge" difference between the options available as most are based on the same principles. One of the things I like about the system I have is that I still have choices when it comes to the "business end". I started out with the Jamison cutters, but also now employ Trent Bosch's straight and bent cutting bars. At the very least, whatever system you choose shouldn't pigeon-hole you into any kind of proprietary cutting bars, etc., over time.

Sean Troy
03-26-2007, 11:32 AM
In my opinion, the best bang for the buck is John Lea's system www.woodturningtools.net (http://www.woodturningtools.net)

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2007, 5:48 PM
I agree with Bob H. I have the Monster Rig from Randy Privett. You get both the straight and swan neck. Several different size scrapers and the laser. Nice unit.

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 5:57 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I think I'll go with that monjster rig to go with the gloat in my other thread. Life is good when you turn wood.:D