PDA

View Full Version : 604 bedrock

pat fowler
03-25-2007, 9:10 PM
Hey guys, anyone have any info on a 604 bedrock by stanley? I have a chance to pick one up cheap, I think. I understand the bedrock series are supose to be a pretty good plane. Thanks for any response, Pat.

Ryan Cathey
03-25-2007, 9:33 PM
Get it! No need to ask questions...if it's cheap get it!

-Ryan C.

Terek Johnson
03-26-2007, 12:07 AM
There's a lot of marginal Stanley Bedrocks out there that are way overpriced only because they carry the cache of Bedrock. As a general rule, Bedrocks were Stanley's high-end issue. The one thing that sets them apart from run-o'-the-mill Stanleys is the ability to adjust the frog without having to remove cap iron and blade (way cool and convenient). But, as with all tool purchases: look before you buy - if it's cheap, there might be a reason. If it's all there and in decent shape (read, not rusted into a boat anchor), go for it - they are great planes.

Terry Bigelow
03-26-2007, 9:17 AM
I would agree with Terek for the most part although I think the ones that are "overpriced" are the ones in extremely good condition with nearly all the japanning intact. To me that's not a necessity. Terek mentioned the frog adjustment as the thing that sets "Rocks" apart from other bench planes which is great . Another feature that is often overlooked is the mating surfaces between the frog and the base of the plane. There is a great deal of surface area which really gives a more ridgid foundation therefore cutting down on chatter and giving you a smoother cut. I think it's certainly easy to overpay for one of these great planes but, if you find them in a condition that is not too bad to fix but bad enough to bring the price down don't pass it up. I look for ones who are a good cleaning and a new blade & chipbreaker away from being a real beauty! Check my old posts for some of my clean-up jobs of Bedrocks.

pat fowler
03-26-2007, 1:14 PM
I appreciate all of the replies, the info here is very useful. I have been reading up on stanley planes in general on Superior Works:Patrick's B & G . He seems to think the the bedrocks are over hyped compared to the bailey line of planes. I have some pre-war stanley planes and after tuning them up am very pleased with them but I have nothing to compare them with.They work well for me and that is all that realy matters. I am going to get hold of a bedrock and see if I feel that there is a difference myself. Pat.

Ken Werner
03-26-2007, 2:50 PM
hi Pat, if nothing else, it'll be a nice addition. Not all bedrocks have the adjustability feature - the early ones with curved sides do not.
I've got a 604, and it is really a lovely plane. I was at the NWA meeting this weekend. Garrett Hack was demonstrating edges, and had 3 planes, 2 LN blocks, and a 604.
Ken

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi Pat,

I own a 604, bought it on ebay 4 years ago for $175. I added an upgraded chip breaker from LN and bought an A2 iron for it from LV.....it's a fine plane.

I recommend the upgrades, you are most likely looking at a user instead of a collectable 604, so use it!

pat fowler
03-27-2007, 2:22 AM
Ken, this is an early model without the adjuster.
Jim, I only collect what I use and that is what this would be. I also have a bailey no.5 & 7. I am looking for a smoothing plane and that is what I intend to use the 604 if I get it off of ebay at a reasonable price. Thanks again for the replies. Pat.

Ken Werner
03-29-2007, 4:38 PM
Pat, just my 2 cents here. An early 604 may or may not sell on eBay for less than a later one with the adjuster feature. Unless it's alot cheaper, you really might want to hold out for a later unit. Here's before and after shots of my 604, from purchase on eBay, to after my restoration:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51072
[you'll have to scroll down for the after pictures]
Good luck!!
Ken

Hank Knight
03-29-2007, 5:35 PM
Pat,

Bedrocks usually go for pretty good money on eBay. If you don't get the one you're looking at at a reasonable price, you might touch base with the guys who sell used tools. You can probably pick up a Bedrock for a good price from one of them and they will level with you about the plane's condition. eBay is kind of a crap shoot when it comes to condition. If they don't have one, they can find one for you.

Just a suggestion.

Hank

Tom MacGregor
03-29-2007, 6:00 PM
I like my early round-sided Bedrock (with Hock O1 blade) because it feels a little more solid than a regular bench plane. But then again my pre-Stanley Union smoother has an original blade thicker than a Hock that can give the Bedrock a good run for the money. I'd buy the 604 if it seemed tunable at a reasonable price. Also look for K series (not KK) Keen Kutter planes. They are Stanley made in the early Bedrock style and usually sell for much less.

pat fowler
04-03-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, gives me alot to consider. The 604 I was chasing on ebay got away but as you all know there will be plenty more. I keep seeing mention of the hock irons and chippers, are they that much better than stock early stanley parts? Thanks again for the replies. Pat.

Hank Knight
04-03-2007, 3:40 PM
I keep seeing mention of the hock irons and chippers, are they that much better than stock early stanley parts? Pat.

In a word, "Yes." Hock, Lie-Nielsen, Clifton and others make replacement irons and chipbreakers for Stanley planes. I'm familiar with the Hock and the Lie-Nielsen's and they are a significant upgrade over the original Stanley components. The blades are available in A2 steel from Hock and Lie-Nielsen and in 01 from Hock. I'm not sure about Clifton's and others. O1 is kind of standard (if there is a standard) carbon tool steel. It takes a keen edge - some say it takes a keener edge than A2 - and is realtively easy to sherpen. A2 is a tough carbon steel alloy that resists wear and abrasion. It takes a very good edge and holds it a long time. The trade-off for long edge retention is that A2 is harder to sharpen than O1. Both of these steels are qualititively "better" than the steel in the original Stanley irons.

Most of the modern Stanley replacement irons are considerably thicker than the originals. The replacement chipbreakers have more mass (are thicker) and less flex that the original Stanleys. Combine the thick blade with a thick replacement chipbreaker and you have a real solid blade/chipbreaker assembly. A sharp thick iron and a beefy chipbreaker mean less chatter and a smoother cut than you get with an original Stanley iron and chipbreaker, and modern steels - especially A2 - stay sharp longer than the original Stanleys.

Is the upgrade worth the cost? I think so. I've replaced the irons and chipbreakers on all of my user planes with Hocks and LNs and I can tell a big difference. I believe the upgrade is a significant one, not just eye candy. Your mileage may vary.

Hank

Terry Bigelow
04-03-2007, 4:36 PM
I couldn't agree more, Hank. I have really enjoyed collecting, refurbishing and using my old Stanley's but I went quite a while before I upgraded to new Hock chipbreakers and irons. Boy what a difference! I had several planes that worked great after some tuning and sharpening. Namely, a sweetheart era no.5 that belonged to my grandfather and a Bedrock 604 1/2 I got on eBay. But after I got the breaker/iron combo from Ron Hock I was suprised at just how much of a difference it made on the 604 1/2. It really became my "go-to plane". Since then I have replaced several of my plane's irons & breakers and all of those are now my new favorites to use! I would recommend getting both the iron AND the breaker for the full effect. You won't regret it!