PDA

View Full Version : planer sniping

Larry Wyble
03-25-2007, 9:05 PM
I bought a Delta 12-1/2" portable planer today. Next word I learned was Snipe.
It snipes about 3 inches from the end at both ends. I tried adjusting the infeed
and outfeed tables to no avail. Is there anything that can be done about this
condition other than buying wood 6 inches longer than I need? :confused:

Does anyone here have one of these planers and found a cure?

Thanks

Jake Helmboldt
03-25-2007, 9:14 PM
Larry, which Delta is this? One thing you need to look at is the adjustment of the infeed/outfeed tables. They should be set just slightly high on each end. Use a level or straightedge.

Also, with longer stock you should provide support, especially on the outfeed. Lastly, does the planer have a cutterhead lock? My Delta 22-580 is virtually snipe-free when set up properly.

Larry Wyble
03-25-2007, 9:25 PM
Yeah I did set the in/out tables a little high. No help.
I'll look them over again and see if I can go a little higher without getting ridicuolous.

What's a cutterhead lock? :rolleyes:

The planer is a tp305 12-1/2" portable. Cuts good and all that. I did have to adjust
the level of the blade, it was cutting 1/16" higher on one side.

Also the stock I was cutting was only 20" long.

Thanks

Jake Helmboldt
03-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Some of the newer "lunchbox" planers, like the Delta 22-580 has a lever that locks the cutterhead in place to help prevent snipe. Others that have first-hand experience with the one you have may be able to give you more feedback. Some planers were simply notorious for snipe, and that may be one of them.

Larry Wyble
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
I found the answer after searching the Delta site. Just for future reference here's the answer.
This model does not have a head lock. Tighten nut, parts list ref. 123, until rotation of crank causes the machine to rotate on table. This will eliminate most of the back lash that causes snip.

Just for the record parts list ref 123 is the nut on the bottom of the machine that holds the gear onto the verticle table adjustment screw.

Al Killian
03-26-2007, 2:05 AM
One other thing that will help, is to take lighter passes.

Joe Spear
03-26-2007, 7:37 AM
Also, lift up on the trailing end of the board as it goes into the planer and the leading end as it comes out. That keeps the ends of the board from tilting up into the cutterhead.

David Weaver
03-26-2007, 7:43 AM
I have a 22-580 with a cutterhead lock, and i still get snipe on long boards. none on short ones. I only get it on long ones because I don't have a proper outfeed setup to support the boards and I don't seem to have the magic touch to do anything other than to reduce the amount of snipe.

The only planer that I've worked with that didn't have any snipe was a delta 20-inch 5 hp planer, and i'm sure the snipe was still there to some extent.

If you can't get rid of it enough that you can't sand out whatever is there, then you're right, you'll have to just buy long stock.