PDA

View Full Version : sealing logs

Cory Martin
03-25-2007, 8:49 PM
A friend of mine called today and told me his father in-law had some walnut logs he wasn't going to use and thought I could use for turning so I ran out to his place and found five logs about 10' in length 16" in diameter. We cut these into 20" sections and when I returned home I painted the ends with some latex paint I have because I have not yet receieved my anchorseal. I guess my question is will this work or is there a better alternative.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2007, 9:04 PM
Yep it will be fine. I would put a second coat on all the ends. I have some logs a little over a year since I cut them and put two coats of latex on them. No cracks. If they do crack just cut a little off the end. So you should be fine. I think latex for me works about as well as anchorseal.

Cory Martin
03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks Bernie, I was wondering if I should put another coat on.

Darrell Feltmate
03-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I would use another coat or maybe two of latex and the Anchorseal as soon as it arrives. I think it makes a big difference.

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh, my...5 logs 10' long and 16" diameter? I'm sorry to say, that I would have had that milled for flat work given that it's hard to get "big" walnut in many cases. (Yea, I know, blasphemy in this particular forum, but what can I say?)

On your question, the paint will work. Anchorseal is better.

Mark Pruitt
03-29-2007, 1:24 PM
There probably won't be any adhesion issues with putting anchorseal on top of the latex paint. Given the fact that I have some logs that I painted the ends and had some splitting anyway, I would recommend anchorsealing them once the AS arrives. In the interim, two coats of paint should hold 'em.

I will be soooo glad when I finally score some walnut logs. Meanwhile it's maple and cherry for me.

Mark Pruitt
03-29-2007, 1:32 PM
I'm sorry to say, that I would have had that milled for flat work......(Yea, I know, blasphemy in this particular forum, but what can I say?)
OK Becker, since you have that really super niiiiiiiiice MM flatwork machine and we know you have to justify its existence, we'll let you slide.....
:p :p :p

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:50 PM
OK Becker, since you have that really super niiiiiiiiice MM flatwork machine and we know you have to justify its existence, we'll let you slide.....

Nice pun...intended or not...LOL! :D

And when you consider how Stubbalina works...it qualifies in that regard, too... ;)

Cory Martin
03-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh, my...5 logs 10' long and 16" diameter? I'm sorry to say, that I would have had that milled for flat work given that it's hard to get "big" walnut in many cases. (Yea, I know, blasphemy in this particular forum, but what can I say?)

On your question, the paint will work. Anchorseal is better.

I almost hate to say it, But the kiln is full of cherry.