PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Ribbon Bowl

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-25-2007, 8:44 PM
Claude Arragon posted a question about an "oval" turning chuck. I thought that I'd share a style of oval turning that doesn't require a special "oval" chuck. Birdseye maple and Gabon ebony, about 15" by 14" by 9".

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 8:47 PM
Malcolm, I really admired this piece on WoW and am happy you posted it here, too.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2007, 8:48 PM
Wow Malcolm that is absolutely awesome. Love the form. Holy cow that is beautiful.

Gary Herrmann
03-25-2007, 9:22 PM
Speechless. That's just amazing.

John Chandler
03-25-2007, 10:11 PM
That is definitely one nice piece.

Bill Wyko
03-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Malcolm, once again you go completly out of bounds. That's an incredible piece. How do you do it? Another thing I like about your work is it makes me think of new ways to use my skills.:rolleyes: PM me if you get a chance. I've got something for your other project.:D

Jonathon Spafford
03-25-2007, 11:32 PM
That is a really cool piece... how did you turn that... I am not quite seeing that as round! Really nice piece though!!!

Bill Wyko
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I think I see how it was done. I'm curious, how many did you get out of the turning? It seem like you could get 2. Not counting saw kerf and any rows that may have to be removed to get the joints straight and even. Again, beautiful work.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Macolm....You not only think outside the box....Your art justifies doing so! Another typical Tibbetts.........Extraordinarily beautiful!

Mark Cothren
03-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Very neat work! For some reason kinda makes me think "Egyptian" or "Nile riverboat"...

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-26-2007, 2:13 PM
Thanks for the comments.

For those interested in the technique, it’s done in two steps. First, a stacked-ring form was built. Then it was cut apart and re-assembled. I’ve attached a photo showing the cut-apart stage. As Bill surmised, two bowls were assembled from the first turning. The second photo shows a second turning in the background.

Jonathon Spafford
03-26-2007, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the comments.

For those interested in the technique, it’s done in two steps. First, a stacked-ring form was built. Then it was cut apart and re-assembled. I’ve attached a photo showing the cut-apart stage. As Bill surmised, two bowls were assembled from the first turning. The second photo shows a second turning in the background.
Clever idea... how did you glue the two pieces together though??? Seems like the surface area for gluing is rather small! And how did you clamp it??? I imagine you had to do a little touch up work after gluing???

Gonna have to check out your book from my club library ;)

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 6:05 PM
The thing to keep in mind here is that the entire piece is glue joints of the same thickness. You would be surprised how strong the glue joints are in the pieces. I've tossed a couple pieces off the lathe and across the room and not one crack in the glue joints.:eek: Sure scares the shmead out of you though.

Jim Ketron
03-26-2007, 7:49 PM
Beautiful Piece Malcolm!

William Fourness
03-26-2007, 8:01 PM
Now that is just outstanding and very eye catching.

Bill

Mark Pruitt
03-26-2007, 9:18 PM
Truly amazing, Malcolm!

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Clever idea... how did you glue the two pieces together though??? Seems like the surface area for gluing is rather small! And how did you clamp it??? I imagine you had to do a little touch up work after gluing???

Gonna have to check out your book from my club library ;)

Jonathon, the clamping was done with rubber bands. On either side of the joint, I attached some small blocks of wood with hot melt glue and then used these blocks to install the rubber bands. The surface area was a strong 1/4" wide which is plenty to provide the needed strength. Because the two sides of the joint were turned as one, they matched perfectly. There was only a little minor sanding to do in order to clean up the glue squeeze-out. If you get a hold of a copy of my book, there's a section that profiles the building of an "oval" bowl; this technique evolved from that technique.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Phenominal. That is just fantastic.

Dennis Peacock
03-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Beautiful Malcolm! Just beautiful. :cool:

jeremy levine
03-29-2007, 8:42 AM
Now that is an eye catcher... WOW