PDA

View Full Version : Gloat Police: In the cuffs!!

Tom Cowie
03-25-2007, 8:22 PM
Well as part of my probation I promised the LOML that I would explain my gluttony to this well established group of my peers In hope that some mercy could be given on my behalf.

It all started a few months ago with the hopes of a spindle sander. Then moved to a helical head planer and a new dust collector and hardware. From that point on it's just a blur.

You see I'm getting older and I'm looking to continue woodworking as a business after I retire from my job. The LOML has supported me through it all. Graciously planning and budgeting to see the way clear to upgrade and add some really nice tools. I did the research but I couldn't have done it with out her. She's the best..

The final loss of control came at the Chantilly show on the 16th. I planned ahead. I went with a list. I stuck to the list and didn't look left or right. I got it all... everything.. Then it happened ..........There was more.....so much more.. There were vendors and wood suppliers and saw blades and stuff that I didn't even know how it worked... I was out of control in a strange land..
That 's when I knew that I needed help. My advice to all of you is don't go to one of these shows unless the LOYL is standing there beside you.. I was lucky..It could have been bad.

As it stands the sentence is " If it ain't wood you ain't gettin it for two years" !!!!!!!!

Then she bought me dinner and told me that she had paid off my sawmill bill !!

I'm a worm !:o :o but she loves me anyway...

Here's the stuff ..
Plano glue press
saw and rails
sander and rail kit

The Greatest Gloat that I'll ever have is My LOML...

Tom

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 8:27 PM
Congrats! I concur on the "support of the LOYL", too.

BTW, I'd have the Plano system in my shop if I actually had a place to put it...I've been wanting that setup for years.

Jerry Houwer
03-25-2007, 9:35 PM
I totally understand your gluttony. I have tool catalogs stacked next to john over which fantasize and daydream . But you made a nice haul, but... maybe more nextime.

Don Bullock
03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Tom, that doesn't sound like gluttony to me at all, but if it makes the LOYL, who seems to be very supportative, happier, you are fully forgiven.;) BTW -- I don't even know what a glue press is and don't tell me because I'm afread that I'd want to add one to my list.:eek:

Tom Cowie
03-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Congrats! I concur on the "support of the LOYL", too.

BTW, I'd have the Plano system in my shop if I actually had a place to put it...I've been wanting that setup for years.

Hi Jim

Who has "Room" I put everything on wheels. I'll post the cart for the press when it is finished..

Hi Don

Thanks for your forgiveness, I need it.. A glue press is this:
http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=plano

Tom

Bruce Wrenn
03-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Best solution that I have found is to leave credit cards/ check book at home. Only take spendable cash with you. Don't go with friends who will lend you the cash/ money Works every time for me. Otherwise I'm like a two year old-I gotta have it and NOW! When you know your exact funds available, buying is much more systematic. Look at it all and then buy. Nothing PO's me worse than to find out I could have bought something for less, if I had just waited! Also knowing current "street price" is a given.

Jerry Olexa
03-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I understand your addiction AND you have a good LOYL...

Don Bullock
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
...Hi Don

Thanks for your forgiveness, I need it.. A glue press is this:
http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=plano

Tom

Oh, Tom I wished you hadn't shown me that the LOML is not going to be happy If I tell her I've added something else to my list. :eek: That system sure looks fantastic. Please don't tell me how well you like it after you've used it. I'm not sure I can stand the distress of not having one.:( I plan to be making some tables and I can see where a clamping system like that would help solve many of the problems I've had in the past.

Eric Shields
03-26-2007, 7:53 AM
Tom,

I almost felt bad leaving the Chantilly show empty handed, that is until now. I'd say you certainly made up for my lack of purchasing power this year. Oh wait, I didn't buy anything last year either :-(

Anyway, nice haul Tom. I recently purchased at TS55 and absolutely love it, I'm sure you'll love your new green and black.

Enjoy,

Eric