PDA

View Full Version : PM209 vs Grizzly G0545 20" planers

robert cohen
03-25-2007, 8:07 PM
These planers look alike on paper. The PM209 seems to have a thicker paint.

Is the overall quality of the PM 209 better? Is it worth $700 more?

Will the motor and bearings be better? IS Customer service better with the PM?

The money I save can go towards a Shelix. But I don't want to have buyer's remorse.

Frank Snyder
03-25-2007, 9:25 PM
Rob - I have the PM209 with an aftermarket Byrd Helix cutterhead. I can't make a direct comparison with the Grizzly or other generic 4-post planers out there, but I've been very happy with the 209's performance. The cast iron extension beds were very flat, as was the planer bed. I don't experience any snipe, and since I upgraded to the Byrd head, I don't experience any tearout at its slowest feed rate. The fit and finish of the 209 met my expectations, and I've not had any problems with it. It also has built-in castors for mobility, which at 800lbs., is appreciated. Whether or not its worth the extra $$ compared to the Grizzly, I can't say. Grizzly seems to have a better customer service reputation than PM, so that might be worth considering. Perhaps some Grizzly owners here can chime in and offer their opinion as well.

robert cohen
03-25-2007, 9:55 PM
Where can I get the best deal on PM209?

Frank Snyder
03-26-2007, 9:31 AM
Rob - I went through Amazon. At the time that I ordered, they were offering free shipping ($$$) and there's no sales tax ($$). For the Byrd head, I went through Brian at Holbren (he's a member here and offers 10% discount to other SMC members). I'd still do my due dilligence on the Grizzly...I'm sure there are some members here who will offer you their experiences as well.

robert cohen
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Amazon now has one of the highest prices $2199 plus $249 shipping plus $35 for lift gate.

Frank Snyder
03-27-2007, 9:19 AM
Rob - I ordered mine this time last last year and it was $1799 with free shipping. Amazon does promotional free shipping on selected items, but you just never know when it'll be and you have to wait until they do. Rockler still seems to have this price, whereas some other online retailers (Timberlinetools, Woodcraft, etc...) have upped the price to $1899. Shipping is the real deal killer on this one since it weighs in at 800lbs. Shop around and I'm sure you can find a decent deal somewhere. I'd still give the other 4-post planers a look as well (Grizzly, Yorkcraft, etc)...I know there are Grizzly and Yorkie owners here on this site who should be able to offer you their opinions.

Jake Helmboldt
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Robert, I can't say anything about either planer, but I can say what I know about PM's customer service; crap! I won't ever buy another gold machine as long as the company is under its current ownership.

I don't own any Grizzly products, but I own two Shop Fox products which is their sister company. The owner Shiraz frequents this site and is responsive to peoples' concerns here. That is a lot more than can be said of my experiences with PM sadly.

JH

robert cohen
03-28-2007, 8:24 PM
Frank,

Where was your PM 209 made? China or Tawaiian?

fRED mCnEILL
03-28-2007, 9:50 PM
I have had the 20 inch Grizzly planer you are looking at for about 10 months. Previously I used a Dewalt lunchbox planer.

It takes bigger cuts and when the blades are sharp the cut is S-M-O-O-T-H. There is more adjusting you can do as far as rough and smoother wood is concerned whereas on the Dewalt what you see is what you get. The Grizzly is MUCH quiter than the Dewalt.

I did have a problem with the griz motor as the plastic fan on the motor shaft worked loose but I was able to tighten it and haven't had a problem since. Also I had a problem with the Dewalt in that a gear broke, which I understand is still a problem on newer models. I'm not really that impressed with any of my Dewalt tools though.

A month or so ago I posted on here that I had a problem with the bed moving on its own. Shiraz read it and the next morning I had a call from his service tech. He knew right away what the problem was. It was dull blades. A sharp set of blades solved the problem. You could'nt ask for more prompt service that that.

I like the Grizzly and would buy it again as it gives me MUCH greater capacity and the end result is smooth accurate cuts.

I will say though, that I was a little surprised at the cost of having the knives(4) sharpened. On the other hand a new set of 4 knives cost me $75 Cdn while a set of 2 Dewalt knives was $60 Cdn.

Frank Snyder
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Rob - My 209 is made in Taiwan.

robert cohen
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
The new ones look slightly different. I wonder if they are from China.

Brian Ross
03-28-2007, 10:21 PM

I will say though, that I was a little surprised at the cost of having the knives(4) sharpened. On the other hand a new set of 4 knives cost me $75 Cdn while a set of 2 Dewalt knives was $60 Cdn.

Fred.. Not sure where you live but if anywhere near London, On. try ETK Carbide. Just had 4 , 12 inch jointer knives sharpened for $20. cash

Brian

Frank Snyder
03-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Rob - I think you're just noticing their "retro" styling they just introduced after the PM2000 came out (oval nameplate & pin-striping vs. bold label). Physically, it is the same machine, just different decals. I know some of their tools are made in China (drill press & benchtop mortiser), but their bigger tools are still made in Taiwan to my knowledge.

robert cohen
03-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Frank,

How are the casters? Does it move easily?

Are ther mobile casters to allow the base to swivel?

Frank Snyder
04-01-2007, 7:40 AM
Rob - The castors do not swivel. I can still move it perpendicularly, but that is only because my floor surface is finished concrete (super smooth).

robert cohen
04-01-2007, 1:10 PM
The PM209 is made in Tawain and grizlly in China. Should this influence me?