PDA

View Full Version : Building material prices

Robert Boyd
03-25-2007, 6:30 PM
With the building season upon us and the housing market in limbo will prices for building materials such as sheetrock and studs go up or down? :confused:

Joe Pelonio
03-25-2007, 7:25 PM
With the building season upon us and the housing market in limbo will prices for building materials such as sheetrock and studs go up or down? :confused:
I think you need to look more at the construction going on in China, they are getting much of the building materials made in the US, and that's driving up prices.

Also, while family hosing may be slower there are in Bellevue WA currently 26 cranes operating in new multi-story office construction, if it's the same in other cities that commercial is going to use a lot of drywall and metal stus.

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 7:38 PM
Given we are "this close" to starting our addition...I hope not!! The budget is already in jeapardy due to several month's delay when our architect had not one, but two deaths in the family.

Brian Elfert
03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm in the middle of finishing off a bonus room sort of thing and I am finding materials are way down in price.

2x4s are 10 to 20% off. OSB prices have dropped by half. Sheetrock was sky high last fall, but the prices are down by a third or more now. Plywood prices are down too.

Commercial and residential don't necessarily use the same types of material. Sheetrock is one material used by both, but it still down.

Brian Elfert

Robert Boyd
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks Brian for noticing. I have seen prices starting to drop but wasn't quite sure if that was the trend for building materials. My thoughts were that winter time prices would be down and during summer prices would be high.