PDA

View Full Version : plywood.

robert micley
03-25-2007, 5:20 PM
can anyone help with knowledge on buying veneer plywood that really is not warped.i have never checked out lowes.home depot plywood is terrible.thank you

Bob Michaels
03-25-2007, 5:34 PM
Best advice I can give is to stay far away from the big box stores for cabinet grade plywood and hardwood lumber. Check your local yellow pages for lumber dealers who specialize in hardwood lumber, as they would most likely carry cabinet grade veneered plywood also. Hope this helps. A couple of days ago, while walking through HD, my eye caught a sign proclaiming "3/4" Cabinet Grade Plywood" at $25 and change per 4' x 8'. I knew the price was goofy because I pay $62. per sheet for birch veneer ply. After taking a fast look, the sign was correct, it was maybe worth $25 per sheet, not hardwood veneered and warped as hell. Not something you would consider putting your time into building cabinets. Solid example of getting what you pay for.

Bob Michaels
03-25-2007, 5:43 PM
As a follow up, regarding buying flat plywood, you still need to carefully check out the ply even at reputable hardwood lumber dealers. 2 days ago I dropped in at my local hardwood dealer seeking to pick up a dozen sheets of 3/4 Birch just to keep in my stock. The unit he had on the floor was about 2/3 full and I still couldn't find really flat sheets. He said he'll call me in a week when a fresh unit comes in and I can check it out. That's why I keep a dozen sheets in stock, if I need it I have it, even if my dealer doesn't have exactly what I want at the time I need it. That being said, I also built a very flat rack, raised off the concrete floor and slightly tipped back to the wall, upon which I store my 4' x 8' ply on it's 8' edge. It then gets clamped to the rack so it doesn't get any ideas of wiggling around while in storage.

robert micley
03-25-2007, 5:53 PM
mdf is really flat.even at local lumber yard lots of their plywood and stuff like 2 by four is so warped.i once checked out my kitchen cabinets which were medium end.although looking reasonably good lots of doors and corners and sides were off square by nore than a sixteenth.

Doug Shepard
03-25-2007, 6:33 PM
Robert
You might get more replies on sources in your area if you go into the User CP, and edit your profile so that your location shows up in the top RH corner of your posts.

glenn bradley
03-25-2007, 10:20 PM
My local lumber yard has no problem helping me sift through the plywood stacks or the lumber racks and selecting the material I want. Try to find a reputable yard nearby and establish a rapport with the guys who work there. If there good guys, helping you select what you want to lay your money down for should not be a problem.

Don Selke
03-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I never, never buy material from the Big Box stores. I purchase all my sheet goods and hardwoods from a lumber supplier here in Phoenix. Have never experienced a warped sheet good material from them. I buy all my hardwoods rough sawn and mill them myself whenever possible.