PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding Marine Grade Plywood

Jeff Stempien
03-25-2007, 4:07 PM
anybody know where I can buy a 2ft x 4ft piece of 3/4 Marine plywood for a sign project? Thanks Jeff

Richard Kagen
03-25-2007, 4:33 PM
www.boulterplywood.com (http://www.boulterplywood.com)

good guys, lots of options

Joseph N. Myers
03-25-2007, 6:15 PM
anybody know where I can buy a 2ft x 4ft piece of 3/4 Marine plywood for a sign project? Thanks Jeff

Jeff,

Where are you located? Also, you may want to check out MDO (medium density overlaid). Made for outdoor sign making and I think, cheaper than some of the regular outdoor plywood such as teak.

Regards, Joe

Jeff Stempien
03-25-2007, 8:08 PM
Thanks but I dont think MDO is waterproof once you cut it anywhere. The ends become like a giant sponge. I'm in Greenwich CT and the nearest specialty wood supplier only sells it by the whole sheet, and I only need 1/4. That King Starboard stuff is like $100 for 1/4 sheet.

jeff

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 8:31 PM
Jeff, MDO is generally an exterior grade product and as long as the edges are painted, it should be ok in most circumstances...they do make highway signs from this stuff! Oh, my local full-service lumber yard carries it. 3/4" sheet, double sided was about $80 last time I asked.

Larry Wyble
03-25-2007, 9:10 PM

Best idea is to call your city street department's sign shop and ask them where they get thiers. Or the local state dot sign/signal shop.

Trust me I know these things. :D

Ben Grunow
03-25-2007, 9:24 PM
Hey Jeff, I would try M.L. Condons Lumber in White plains, they will have any type of ply you could imagine (exit 6 or 7 off 287 just before the Chimpanzee Bridge). Or use Azek (PVC sheet stock) available at Ring's End in Darien 203 655 2525. I think it comes in 1/4"..

MDO is good outside when cut but a little epoxy or good primer/paint will prolong its life even further.

Good Luck.