PDA

View Full Version : OT posting Is it allowed in this forum?

Chuck Wintle
02-28-2003, 11:35 AM
I want to ask if anyone has had luck refilling inkjet printer cartridges, specifically the color cartridges. I am trying myself to do this and the end result is poor. After I filled it with the correct amount of ink it simply will not print. I have checked the print for blockage and soaked it in alcohol. I am beginning to think that refilling at home is not feasible.

Joe Pack
02-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi Charles.

I used to refill my HP cartridges 5-10 times each here at school with no problem. Lately, though, I have given up; I can rarely get a refill to "take" and not leak or refuse to print. I don't know what the difference is, but there seems to be one.

The best luck I had was using a pressurized tank system. the cost of each refill was about $4. When I switched cartridges/printers, I didn't have the correct equipment and lost track of where I bought the refill system, so...

I have heard that some newer cartridges use some sort of "smart" device that makes refilling all but impossible. Rumor, not confirmed fact.

Phil Phelps
02-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Charles, you'll here from those who have great success and miserable failures. I have friends who go on line and find generic cartridges at a fraction of the OEM cost. But not me!!! :mad: I have a Cannon that costs a billion bucks for a black cartridge, let alone the color.:eek:

Ken Garlock
02-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Phil, I know the feeling when buying ink refills. I have an Epson 900 printer, and it costs somewhere around $60-70 for a pair of cartridges.

I think these manufactures took Henry Ford's comment to heart - "I would give the cars away if I could sell all the parts," or some words to that affect.

John Sanford
02-28-2003, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by Ken Garlock
Phil, I know the feeling when buying ink refills. I have an Epson 900 printer, and it costs somewhere around $60-70 for a pair of cartridges.

I think these manufactures took Henry Ford's comment to heart - "I would give the cars away if I could sell all the parts," or some words to that affect.

Actually, I believe it was King Gillette who expressed those sentiments.... :) (about razors, of course)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-28-2003, 10:25 PM
I have just lost an Epson Stylus 400 color printer. Needs reprogramming and rather than taking the chance it would cost more than a new printer I bought a new Canon s750. I refilled the Epson cartridges for several years with no problems. They would take a half dozen refills on average and I could buy new cartridges from the ink supplier for a third of what Epson cartridges cost. Saved many times over what the new printer cost. I intend to refill the cartridges for the new printer. My suggestion is to go to several of the on line sites which sell the refill materials as well as new low cost cartridges and read what each one says about the how to of refilling. You will get a feel for it and once you get the hang of it you will never look back.

Chuck Wintle
03-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I finally got my color ink cartridge to work properly. I cleaned the print head with some Windex and added more ink into each of the three resevoirs. It prints like a new one now. Funny I never had any trouble with refilling the black cartridge and then getting it to work.