PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Vents

Chris Jenkins
03-25-2007, 2:28 PM
Now that the nice weather is here I need to fix the exhaust vents outside the house.

I am having a problem with the exhaust vent cover flapping and making lots of noise. I live in a windy area and the wind is capable of lifting the flap then it falls and makes a smack noise. After hours of hearing this at night I am ready to rip the covers off.

Anyone have this problem?

I was thinking of just hot gluing or epxoy-ing in some heavy washers to the cover. This way the wind won't be able to pick up the light flapper? Think this will work? Obviously I can't add too many washers cause the dryer and mircowave exhaust fan still have to be capable of opening the cover when running.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Chris

David G Baker
03-25-2007, 3:27 PM
Chris,
A piece of felt glued to the flapper may silence it enough to make it tolerable.
David B

Ben Grunow
03-25-2007, 9:19 PM
I just added 10 fender washers to an exhaust flap on a 10" duct that was noisy and it worked so says client. I have the same issue with my home dryer and I was thinking aobut looking for an in line flapper (like a check valve in plumbing) to mount in the hose inside and allow me to remove the outer door. Only got as far as to rip the old door off. Cheap aluminum POS.

Joe Pelonio
03-26-2007, 8:18 AM
The kind I use (from H.D.) instead of one flapper is like 6 louvers, the wind is not as likely to be able to get under and lift them.

Errol Wentworth
03-27-2007, 12:57 PM
The kind I use (from H.D.) instead of one flapper is like 6 louvers, the wind is not as likely to be able to get under and lift them.

Just a word of caution on this type. If the air vented is high humidity, and you live in a cold area, they **WILL** freeze shut. Doesn't seem to be a problem with clothes dryers as the dry air at the end of the cycle evaporates the water. However, I've installed a couple of these for bathroom fans in customer's homes and every one has now been swapped out. Even if the fan is on a timer they still freeze. The room air is just not enough to evaporate the moisture.

Errol