View Full Version : Help with Resaw problems

Brian Hale
03-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey folks, gotta problem resawing 8/4 QSWO

What i'm doing is slicing up some 6" - 8" wide boards ~73" long and all 3 of them bowed pretty bad; about 1/2" to 3/4" gap with the cut surfaces together.

The boards (kiln dried) have been stacked and stickered in my shop for about 3 weeks. This past Wednesday i jointed/planed/squared up 3 pieces and let them sit till this morning. Moisture content at a fresh end cut is 6% - 8% throughout and the resawn surfaces are the same.

I'm sawing on a MM16 using a new Timberwolf PC for 2 boards and a Lennox Tri-Master for the third with a moderate feed rate.

Should i expect these boards to bow this much?

TIA
Brian :)

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 11:51 AM
When you resaw, you are releasing tension that is already in the wood, but not necessarily evident in the thicker piece. This can be because of the way the tree grew and/or because moisture leaves the wood unevenely during the drying process. Get the boards stacked with stickers and weight to see if the bow abates with a little time. If not, hopefully you will be cutting shorter components out of the boards and can joint them flat before final thicknessing.

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Bryan,

Jim is spot on with this. I've picked up many a straight boards and cut them only to find that I've cut and stacked warped or crooked boards. It's truly amazing and the stresses that wood can contain and that we loose when cutting. ;)

Brian Hale
03-25-2007, 4:02 PM
Well 4 more boards with the same result. :(

Most of these will be cut to shorter lengths but i've got some 14' long boards that will be used to make a top ~22" wide by 12.5' long. Looks like i'm in trouble......

Brian, who is not a happy camper...........

Ron Blaise
03-25-2007, 4:20 PM
Hey folks, gotta problem resawing 8/4 QSWO

What i'm doing is slicing up some 6" - 8" wide boards ~73" long and all 3 of them bowed pretty bad; about 1/2" to 3/4" gap with the cut surfaces together.

The boards (kiln dried) have been stacked and stickered in my shop for about 3 weeks. This past Wednesday i jointed/planed/squared up 3 pieces and let them sit till this morning. Moisture content at a fresh end cut is 6% - 8% throughout and the resawn surfaces are the same.

I'm sawing on a MM16 using a new Timberwolf PC for 2 boards and a Lennox Tri-Master for the third with a moderate feed rate.

Should i expect these boards to bow this much?

TIA

Has struck again! At least you know theirs nothing wrong with your setup Brian. I think most of us have experianced the same thing, regardless of the wood species.

Brian Hale
03-25-2007, 4:30 PM
I've still got about 200 bd ft left to slice up......

Guess it's time to make lemonade :rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
03-25-2007, 5:40 PM
I deal with warped, crooked solid stock and plywood every day.

Its just a normal grind around here.

Bob Michaels
03-25-2007, 5:53 PM
Hey Brian, I just picked up 200 bf of red oak roughly 7" x 10'. The first board that I jointed looks exactly like yours, and it's only 10' or 11' long. I gotta check a few more boards to make sure it isn't a bad batch of lumber, for whatever reason. Good news is, like others mentioned, I also normally will cut these to shorter lengths prior to jointing and planing. Best of luck.