PDA

View Full Version : Pictures

Jerry Houwer
03-25-2007, 9:53 AM
Some people asked for my mill pictures when I first introduced myself, so here are a few. I hope to make some interesting changes this year.
#1. generate wood or producer gas to fuel my diesel three phase generator instead of using diesel fuel. My concern here is tar condensates accumulating in engine. Anyone ever done this? Google wood gas for info.
#2. Build at least one solar kiln and utilize solar energy instead of electric energy to dry lumber.

Jerry Houwer
03-25-2007, 9:55 AM
I see that none came through. I'll work on that again.

Craig D Peltier
03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Upload from computer by clicking the paper clip when posting. Then when uploaded and under the size requirements.You then click on the arrow near paperclip and click on the picture title you just uploaded. Then preview post to make sure it went on before hand.
Hope that helped.

William Fourness
03-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Here are the pictures Jerry was trying to up load.

Bill

Luciano Burtini
03-25-2007, 1:32 PM
Some people asked for my mill pictures when I first introduced myself, so here are a few. I hope to make some interesting changes this year.
#1. generate wood or producer gas to fuel my diesel three phase generator instead of using diesel fuel. My concern here is tar condensates accumulating in engine. Anyone ever done this? Google wood gas for info.
#2. Build at least one solar kiln and utilize solar energy instead of electric energy to dry lumber.

How are you going to run the Diesel engine on wood gas? I think maybe you want to produce Bio-Diesel. Fairly easy to make from various feedstocks including oil seeds, animal fats or even waste oil from your local fast food fryer.

Just a thought....

Jerry Houwer
03-25-2007, 5:48 PM
No, I'm nor referring to biofuel made from WVO( waste vegetable oil). I plan to chip my slabs and burn them in a stratifed burner, collect and clean the gases to provide a gaseous fuel for my diesel engine. This is called wood gasification, and was a technology used in the Scandinavian countries during WW2. It was abandoned soon after the war because liquid fuels became plentiful and cheap. There is some good info online about this and is very interesting.

Karl Laustrup
03-25-2007, 6:28 PM
Nice set up there Jerry. Wish you were closer.

Any chance of you moving to this neck of the woods? ;) :D

Karl

Jerry Houwer
03-25-2007, 6:39 PM
Karl, there is a fellow in Wisconsin by the name of Birkimer, who has a very similar operation. I 'll try find his website and send that to you.

Luciano Burtini
03-25-2007, 7:10 PM
No, I'm nor referring to biofuel made from WVO( waste vegetable oil). I plan to chip my slabs and burn them in a stratifed burner, collect and clean the gases to provide a gaseous fuel for my diesel engine. This is called wood gasification, and was a technology used in the Scandinavian countries during WW2. It was abandoned soon after the war because liquid fuels became plentiful and cheap. There is some good info online about this and is very interesting.

Hmmm. I am aware of the process of wood gasification, just wasn't aware that it could be adapted to run a diesel engine. What is involved? I am assuming that the injection system would not function properly with non-liquid fuel, or will you re-liquify the gas?

I know that a local bus has been adapted to run on propane (in a diesel engine), and although I am not aware of exactly what modifications were made, propane (lpg) is stored as a liquid and it is pretty simple to keep the pressure high enough to remain liquified to the injectors.

I suspect that the energy content of the wood gas would be relatively low - looking it up it would appear that it is about 1/10th that of typical fossil fuels. Is this a concern for a stationary application? Probably not as much as a concern as it would be for a mobile application.

Interesting idea.... I would be interested in seeing your progress in future posts......

Jerry Houwer
03-25-2007, 9:04 PM
This quote is from The Handbook of Biomass Downdraft Gasifier Engine Systems (Thomas Reed) pg.11
" The power lost when diesel engines are converted to operate on producer gas is less than that lost by spark-ignition engines for three reasons. First, some diesel fuel is introduced; second, diesel engines operate at a higher compression ratio; third, diesel engines operate with a large excess of air, so the energy per stroke is very close to the heating value of producer gas-air mixtures".
pg.112.
" The power output from weak gas can be 90% of that from straight diesel fuel with 40% excess air."
pg.113
"A given volume of producer gas, when mixed with the correct quantity of air for combustion, contains 70% of the energy of an equal volume of gasoline or propane mixed with air. .... The volume of intake gases for producer gas is roughly doubled over gasoline or propane use..." Sounds good , doesn't it. Actually, FEMA has published this info in case we ever have a liquid fuel shortage and crisis.

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 9:51 AM
Any issue with lubrication, Jerry? The diesel fuel, itself, has some properties in that respect.

Jerry Houwer
03-26-2007, 1:12 PM
Good question, the info have never mentioned any lubrication problems. It did state, however, that nothing inherent in pure clean wood gas is detrimental to internal combustion engines.