PDA

View Full Version : ARRRRRGGGG!!! Wives & tools!!

Rich Engelhardt
03-25-2007, 8:11 AM
Hello,
Yesterday - we're (my wife and I) working on the rehab's bathroom.
I'm removing the toilet so we can lay down the flooring.
My wife - AKA - the "tool murderess" - is removing the tile adhesive left over from the wall tiles right next to me.
She's using a putty knife that's been ground down to a sharp edge - good girl.

I emerge from behind and underneath the bowl where I've been removing the bolts - - glance to my right - - and almost faint.

She switched from the putty knife - - to - - my - - 1" wood chisel :eek:

Her comment? "Well, it was just sitting there, so I tired it. It worked great because it's so sharp!"

*sigh*

I ran and hid the power hand planer - opened a brewski and toasted a dear departed friend - then just kind of sat there for a while and stared at my poor little chisel..
To add insult to injury, she had the audacity to want it back so she could abuse the poor dear even more!
That's when we had a long talk about how fallen warriors are never left on a field of battle - the deceased are never left behind or deserted - a history lesson about Leonidas @ Thermopylae and his 300 Spartans - Capitaine Danjou of the French Foreign Legion and the battle of Cameron...
She looked at me and told me I'd had enough beer for the day...:o :( :D

Jim Dunn
03-25-2007, 8:58 AM
I agree with your wife. My head is spinning from your last paragraph:)

Shame about your chisel though. Can it be sharpened and sent into rehab or anaylisis?

Rich Engelhardt
03-25-2007, 9:22 AM
Jim,
Doubtful it can be recovered w/out quite a bit of stoning.
She rounded off one of the corners. There looks to be about 1/64th of an inch that needs removed in order to set it square.

*sigh*

All kidding aside,, when it comes to me and sharp edges, I'm pretty Neander about it. I don't do anything with them except by hand & with stones and SC wet/dry.
Taking off even such a small amount is going to be a loooong chore with the India Oil stone.

--Oh the humanity ...:) says I as images of a flaming chisel go through my mind.

John Miliunas
03-25-2007, 9:41 AM
Jim,
Doubtful it can be recovered w/out quite a bit of stoning.
She rounded off one of the corners. There looks to be about 1/64th of an inch that needs removed in order to set it square.

*sigh*

All kidding aside,, when it comes to me and sharp edges, I'm pretty Neander about it. I don't do anything with them except by hand & with stones and SC wet/dry.
Taking off even such a small amount is going to be a loooong chore with the India Oil stone.

--Oh the humanity ...:) says I as images of a flaming chisel go through my mind.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Rich. :( However, I'm not adverse to using a little "muscle power" (aka, electricity) to help restore and revive fallen soldiers. I've got a Veritas MK2 power sharpener over here, which could bring new life back to that soldier and do it quickly and safely, w/o taking the temper out of it. Send it on up and I'd be happy to get it back to pre-World War Wifey status for you. Only cost to you would be shipping over here. Return shipping is my treat. :D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2007, 9:56 AM
Sorry about the fallen one from the sudden Wifey Attack. A sharp soldier can fall pretty quickly when one comes under a Wifey Attack. I've experienced this type of bulliness before and it does take some time to recover. But one will recover.

If you can't get the fallen one to John, send it to me and I'll toss it on my Tormek and then I'll forward it on to Zahid for the final Neander Touch. ;)

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Ouch...and despite your penchant for the total Neander with regard to sharpening, even a hardened Neander will take the steel to a spinning stone to restore the integrety of a damaged tool before sharpening it normally. Just use a light touch to avoid over heating the non-HHS.

John Schreiber
03-25-2007, 11:01 AM
60 grit sandpaper will straighten that edge out in a short time.

Al Willits
03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Rich, try to look at this as a good oppotunity...yup..good, the next conversation should go something like this...Dear, you remember that tool that got broke in the bathroom?? well, honey..I had to replace it and they only come in sets, luckily it was on sale and it wasn't to much, I also got a few tools so you can use that will work better for you, well...except for the drum sander, but that was on sale too....

Al...who thinks this ought to work....let me know will ya? :D

Steve Clardy
03-25-2007, 3:25 PM
Lol.

Well I look at those problems this way.
If mine is going to do the scraping, work, on something like that and wants to use a good chisel, even after trying to talk her out of doing it, I'd just let her do it. Then I would sharpen it afterwards.

If she's doing the work, I don't have to. I can do something else that she cannot do.;) :)

Charlie Velasquez
03-25-2007, 4:40 PM
Mine was something as mundane as opening a can of paint... but then later I ruined one of her frying pans (overheated and the bottom popped). The chisel can be sharpened, but I guess the pan was toast.

So, I can't say anything for the next couple of years.

nic obie
03-25-2007, 8:10 PM
Lol.

Well I look at those problems this way.
If mine is going to do the scraping, work, on something like that and wants to use a good chisel, even after trying to talk her out of doing it, I'd just let her do it. Then I would sharpen it afterwards.

If she's doing the work, I don't have to. I can do something else that she cannot do.;) :)

Hehe

That's the way I look at it too. :D

You wouldn't believe what I've spent on landscaping/gardening tools over the years. Worth every penny if I don't have to do it.

Besides, I hide my good stuff with the sharpest edges and leave a few ok users in plain view.;)

John Miliunas
03-25-2007, 8:51 PM
Hehe

That's the way I look at it too. :D

You wouldn't believe what I've spent on landscaping/gardening tools over the years. Worth every penny if I don't have to do it.

Besides, I hide my good stuff with the sharpest edges and leave a few ok users in plain view.;)

LOL! Me too! I haven't painted anything in the house for years. LOML loves doing it and I supply her with necessary equipment. :)

Like Nic, I have a, "It's OK to go in this drawer." and a "Stay very, very clear of these drawers."!!! :D So far, she's been pretty good about it, though I now do have a couple drywall knives only suitable as paint shields. :o Whatchya' gonna' do, heh? :) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
It's repairable so just consider it a minor aggravation. Fortunately I don't have those sorts of problems. Sue has worked almost all her career around machinists and and has a high respect for tools and how they should be used. How many of you have a wife who can set up and run a Bridgeport or do a dimensional quality inspection? She asks before she uses any of my tools, and they go back in the correct places in great shape.

Jim Becker
03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Dave, Professor Dr SWMBO stays away from tools unless they are for the garden, other than an occasional screwdriver. She admits she doesn't feel comfortable with them. I'm more worried about the kids when it comes to tools...not as much as damage as for loss given they have the ability to forget where they put a wheelbarrow in about 3 minutes flat...

Fortunately, my shop also has a lock that is keyed differently than the house. :) And a normal, household "junk drawer" with a screwdrive, pliers and small hammer in the pantry.

John Miliunas
03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
It's repairable so just consider it a minor aggravation. Fortunately I don't have those sorts of problems. Sue has worked almost all her career around machinists and and has a high respect for tools and how they should be used. How many of you have a wife who can set up and run a Bridgeport or do a dimensional quality inspection? She asks before she uses any of my tools, and they go back in the correct places in great shape.

Sheeesh...You're one lucky guy, Dave! I don't think the LOML can spell "Bridgeport", much less know what it's for or even less likely, set one up! :rolleyes: Then again, I can't set one up, either. :o :) :cool:

Joe Pelonio
03-26-2007, 11:19 AM
A good wife is a lot harder to find than a good chisel.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but that's one of those things that happen, after 32 years I've seen more than one tool used for something odd, but then she was just trying to be helpful.

Tyler Howell
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I fixed that! No wife:D .
Although a good project buddy is hard to find.
When I do projects, I select the tools for those that didn't bring their own and hide the rest:cool: .

Sandy Masquith
03-26-2007, 1:27 PM
I tend to keep my good chisels hidden away. There's a few of the cheaper ones I leave out just for such instances. This way I don't have to spend hours looking for whatever he used, either. "Just leave it on the bench when you're done" is the standing rule when he borrows my stuff. Now...if I could just hide the TS and bandsaw.... ;)

Jack Hogoboom
03-26-2007, 4:33 PM
You guys have it all wrong. I leave my sharpest chisels right on top. Anyone who reaches for one will cut themselves badly. No one ever tries it twice....:D Talk about "traps for the unwary."

J.

Belinda Barfield
03-26-2007, 4:41 PM
I love to help Honey with projects! In my world everything has a place and everything in it's place. By the time I get all organized for the project, he's already finished! Funny how that works out.

If I do get the chance to help I don't pick up anything without first asking permission. For some reason after a while he finds this very annoying and suggests that I go read a book, or do some crosstitch.

It's just difficult to please that man sometimes.;) I think you guys should be thankful you have such helpful wives!:)

Rich Engelhardt
03-26-2007, 6:12 PM
Hello Belinda,
I am thankful...most of the time...;)
She has her moments - and no doubt she could say the same about me.:D

Belinda Barfield
03-26-2007, 6:19 PM
Hello Belinda,
I am thankful...most of the time...;)
She has her moments - and no doubt she could say the same about me.:D

You're a good man.

Honey and I have our moments, we run a business together and live together - pretty much 24/7. Many times one or the other of us will say, "I love you always, but I don't like you very much right this minute." It's sort of our "back off and give me some space" signal.

I do understand the damage to a well tuned tool and the time it takes to make it right again. It is very frustrating. It's very hard not to say WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! You did the right thing by venting here where you have so many man type friends to help you through and feel your pain.:D

Al Willits
03-26-2007, 9:08 PM
"""""""""""""
Many times one or the other of us will say, "I love you always, but I don't like you very much right this minute." It's sort of our "back off and give me some space" signal.
"""""""""""""

Lucky guy, mine just fires up the caldron and I go around for the next week or two green in color and with a tail....kinda rough having two wardrobes...:)

Al....who's feels lucky with just the "look"...:D

Jonathon Spafford
03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I ain't married so I can't make any comment there... all I have to say is when you get into one those irritating situations just think, "Will this matter one hundred years from now?" ;) Tools are replaceable... some are just meant to be replaced sooner than others! :rolleyes: :D

john dennis
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
The real bright side... she only used one of your chisels!!! Think about that for a moment.:eek:

Belinda Barfield
03-27-2007, 8:29 AM
Lucky guy, mine just fires up the caldron and I go around for the next week or two green in color and with a tail....kinda rough having two wardrobes...:)

Al....who's feels lucky with just the "look"...:D

LOL . . . just the other day I pulled the broom out of the pantry and Honey asked where I was off to!:eek: He frequently askes if I would like for him to replace the kick starter on the broom. I just tell him no, that helps relieve the frustration.

Rich, are you in the market for some brew recipes? Sounds like Al's wife could fix you right up!;)

Eddie Watkins
03-27-2007, 1:32 PM
LOML helps me buy my tools so I keep quiet and go get another if needed. LOML is a classic type A personality and can do twice the work in half the time. SHe takes care of the broad swath and I do details. I'm not going to say anyting that will slow her down. We make a pretty good team and tools are cheaper than the cost of hiring soembody who will work as hard as she does. THis past weekend I was complaining about a 30 year old Craftsman miter saw that is a real pain to use. (I have a Makita SCMS anchored in my shop but don't like to haul it). She told me to go get a new one and quit whining if the old one isn't working. Like I said, I'm just going to keep quiet and appreciate the help.

Eddie

Belinda Barfield
03-27-2007, 1:37 PM
Eddie,

Sounds like she's a keeper!

Eddie Watkins
03-27-2007, 2:54 PM
Eddie,

Sounds like she's a keeper!
She's definitely a keeper. I guess I should print this and show it to her, I need all the brownie points I can get!;) :rolleyes:

Eddie

Fred Voorhees
03-27-2007, 5:50 PM
Three words Rich -----scary sharp method.

Ryan Cathey
03-27-2007, 9:25 PM
I have a feeling of few of my fellow neanders are over here. One mention of a harmed chisel and it's like a kitten just fell into a well and the whole neighborhood is tryin' to help! LOL

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-27-2007, 9:57 PM
to add insult to injury, she had the audacity to want it back so she could abuse the poor dear even more!

Awwwwh buy her a cheap chisel at the borg and have done with it. Get her a hammer and a screwdriver too.

Then never bring your $500.00 hand made english chisels into a construction site again.

Robert Mickley
03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
my wife and I have an understanding, she doesn't use my tools. I don't use her dog grooming equipment. :D

Eric Wong
03-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Shapton waterstones will sharpen that puppy right up, almost as fast as grinding it.

P.S. Any woman who is willing to help on a remodel and work near a toilet is OK by me.

Rich Engelhardt
03-30-2007, 6:39 AM
Hello,

P.S. Any woman who is willing to help on a remodel and work near a toilet is OK by me.

LOL! I guess my "punishment" was the abuse of my little friend (the chisel).
See, just prior to the torture the little guy had to endure, I set my wife to the task of removing the water from the toilet so I could lift it off the wax ring...
All the while she was doing it she kept saying about how her dad used to make her do that every time her little brother tossed something in the toilet and flushed it..
I keep telling her that she's always saying I'm exactly like her dad ;)

Paul Johnstone
04-05-2007, 5:10 PM
She switched from the putty knife - - to - - my - - 1" wood chisel :eek:

Look on the bright side. Be thankful that you have a wife willing to help you on these renovations. I get complaining if I just ask her to help hold something for 5 seconds.. even if it's a house project she wants done..

I'll give you all my chisels if you can transplant your wife's attitude to our house :)

Joseph Peacock
04-05-2007, 5:44 PM
I agree Dennis, I like that.That is a good motto to live by.