PDA

View Full Version : Another Chestnut and Pecan Question

Anthony Welch
03-25-2007, 8:04 AM
I've got a chestnut and a couple of pecan trees that Katrina blew down. These are on the back of my property that I'm just now getting to clean up. I plan on cutting the chestnut and at least one pecan for turning purposes.:D

Never mind about the pecan. Looked at it a little better and it is beetled out. .

I cut a 3" limb of the chestnut yesterday and turned it. 1/4" under the bark was kinda' spalty. The rest hard as a rock and very dry. :rolleyes:

Question is, when I cut this up do you think I still need to seal the ends or just cut and stack w/o worries?:confused:
I've got a gallon of anchorseal that I was saving for wetter/fresher cuts.

By the way I'm only turning on a Jet mini. Not that size matters.:p

Thanks!

Glenn Hodges
03-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Anthony, sometimes when I think a piece of wood is dry I am proven wrong by seeing cracks. It never hurts to put some Anchorseal on the ends if you really want to save it.

Frank Reed
03-25-2007, 10:13 AM
I am in the same neck of the woods. If you just cut it treat it like a fresh cut and seal the ends. How are you drying your wood? It normally takes a year per inch of width. Limb wood can be real challenging because it moves more that trunk wood. Look at the grain and see if its semitrical. The more asemetrical the more the movement.

Anthony Welch
03-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Frank,
I see this is your first post. I'd like to say hello and welcome. If I may ask, exactly what neck in these woods are you from?

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Anthony, sometimes when I think a piece of wood is dry I am proven wrong by seeing cracks. It never hurts to put some Anchorseal on the ends if you really want to save it.

Yup...I agree....

And Hey Frank.....WELCOME to SMC!!!!

Travis Stinson
03-25-2007, 1:21 PM
Anthony, like Glenn said, it never hurts to seal the ends. Have you looked into joining the Magnolia Woodturners? We meet at the Jones County Junior College campus in Ellisville on alternate months. I think Nick Cook will be doing a weekend demo there in May. :D