PDA

View Full Version : Boeshiled question. Long term protection or everyday Use?

Kevin Blunt
03-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Hello,
To all the users of Boeshield. Is this a product that can be used as a Rust preventative only during down time or can it be used as a RP while it is cuurently in use day to day. I have used it a bit and itgets a little sticky from my experience but someone recently told me to buff it out and it would make an excellent slick surface as well as top of th eline rust protection. Anyone tried this. This question is in regards to Cast iron Rust protection. Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Steven Wilson
03-24-2007, 11:46 PM
My experience after buffing out is that it isn't very good at preventing rust. However, when applied thick and allowed to dry it protects very well, especially if you then cover the tool.

Dave Anderson NH
03-25-2007, 7:46 AM
Hi Kevin, Boeshield is a great rust preventative, but does suffer from the stickiness problem you mention. My approach has always been to use a 2 step process. Apply the Boeshield and let it dry. Buff it out. I then apply a coat of Top Cote which is quite waxy and slippery. Let it dry and then buff it out. I've found that this double step application works very well and only needs to be renewed every year or two. I suspect that the deep penetration of the Boeshield into the pore structure of the cast iron is what applws this to last so long.

Josh Bendel
03-25-2007, 9:06 AM
I've had great luck with Boeshield To give you a little back ground, my shop use to be in a stone building, which in spring turned into a moisture haven. So for the first spring my tools were in there, I had a great deal of surface rust on my table saw jointer and drill press. Since then I'd put on a coat of Boeshield on let it sit a little and rub the remaining in and let it dry. NO MORE RUST. I now give all my cast iron a coat about every month or so, its probably over kill, but I don't like rust.

Eddie Darby
03-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Kevin, Boeshield is a great rust preventative, but does suffer from the stickiness problem you mention. My approach has always been to use a 2 step process. Apply the Boeshield and let it dry. Buff it out. I then apply a coat of Top Cote which is quite waxy and slippery. Let it dry and then buff it out. I've found that this double step application works very well and only needs to be renewed every year or two. I suspect that the deep penetration of the Boeshield into the pore structure of the cast iron is what applws this to last so long.

Great post!:) I'll second that!