PDA

View Full Version : Routers burning out...

Tho Nguyen
03-24-2007, 9:21 PM
Hey guys, wonder if anyone has some thoughts on this... I've bought 2 routers from Home Depot in last 3 months. One a Bosch Colt, the second a Freud FT2200.

I first played with the Colt, turned on ok... a few days later when I went to use it on a project, it wouldn't turn on. I returned it, but have yet to get a replacement since they had none in stock.

I turned on the Freud a couple weeks ago to toy around with, when I went to use it tonight on a table I'm building, the thing won't turn on.

I'm at a loss, did I just buy two lemons? Or could there possible be something wrong with the electrical in my house burning out the tools? Everything else seems to work ok, planer, jointer, etc.

Thanks for any insight!

glenn bradley
03-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Bad electrical due to outlet run or extension cord sure would be the first guess. You state other tools operating OK. Same outlet / extension cord? Either way I would check the outlet / cord that was used on the failures.

John Ricci
03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I think Glenn is quite correct...plug the routers in somewhere else and see what happens. FWIW I have an FT2000E and I can't beat the thing to death:D, they don't just die! I don't know about the 2200 though. Good luck.

J.R.

Luciano Burtini
03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
This is a total shot in the dark, but I would check the voltage on BOTH the upper and lower receptacle in question. It is possible that you have 240 volts to the outlet, or at least to one half of the outlet (i.e. upper or lower).

It is not unusual to carry two complete circuits on a three conductor wire into a single box. If the receptacle is not properly wired, you can easily end up with 240v on the outlet.

Just a thought