PDA

View Full Version : corel problems

Craig Hogarth
03-24-2007, 8:19 PM
I bought a copy off of ebay and now realize it may not have been that good of an idea.

I'm wondering if I have a bad copy or if the problem is me.

My image keeps disappearing. For instance, I make a rectangle and try to color it. Then it just goes away. If I click on the right spot, I can see center point, nodes, etc. I can still resize and rotate, just can't see it.

It does show up on print preview btw, so I know for sure it's there.

Am I doing something wrong?

Dave Jones
03-24-2007, 8:40 PM
First, make sure that View is set to either Enhanced or Enhanced with Overprints.

Then select the object and in the Object Properties docker make sure that either the fill has a fill type selected or the pen has a color and width.

Open the Object Manager docker and see if there is anything above the selected object that might be covering it.

Mitchell Andrus
03-24-2007, 9:33 PM
Perhaps you could post the file here. Let us know what version it is (or supposed to be).

Craig Hogarth
03-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the responses, but I figured it out. I'm running windows Vista and downloaded a couple service packs which seems to have correct this problem.

Bill Cunningham
03-25-2007, 5:36 PM
I don't know if it was just me, and this has been around for a while, but I Just noticed all of a sudden, I can seen .cdr icons in my XP windows explorer file listings.. When I first ugraded to xp, it would show all the little picture icons for ALL the types of files, but after installing service pack II the .cdr icons were no longer pictures, but just generic icons..
There must have been a fix in one of the general updates that came down the pipe.. Just noticed it about mid week Now, I don't have to 'load' corel to get an idea of whats in what file...

Craig Hogarth
03-26-2007, 3:21 PM
Actually, the service packs didn't fix it as it's doing it again.

I don't think it's the actual file. When the graphics disappear, I immediately save and close the file. When I reopen, I can see graphics again.

I'm wondering if it's cuz I bought a cheapy version from Ebay. It looks like a real copy, but I'm thinking it could be a very good counterfeit copy.

Ed Maloney
03-26-2007, 4:09 PM
This happened to me once and I really scratched my head over it. Turned out that somehow I created text in the Master Layer and the print/display icones were turned off. Just moved it up to Layer 1 and all was fine.

Dave Jones
03-26-2007, 4:30 PM
Out of curiosity, you said you use Windows Vista... How much RAM do you have, and how much free hard drive space on the C drive? Vista is a resource hog and should only be used on computers with lots of RAM. (not to mention that it's a buggy OS)

Craig Hogarth
03-26-2007, 4:41 PM
I just bought a new laptop a few weeks ago and It's pretty much top of the line. Dual 1.83 GHZ intel processors, 2gb ram and 160gb c drive and 80 gb d drive.

Vista runs great on it and actually, I like it much better than XP. The interface isn't as bad as what everyone is making of it.

Dave Jones
03-26-2007, 7:49 PM
Have you gone to the Corel site and installed all the updates to CorelDraw?

Craig Hogarth
03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Have you gone to the Corel site and installed all the updates to CorelDraw?
I will now. I did the service packs, but didn't think of any other updates. Thanks.

Frank Corker
03-27-2007, 3:21 AM
I agree with what Dave says about Vista. A friend of mine builds and sells computers for a living, he says that there are a lot of programmes that will not run properly on it. I am on the verge of purchasing an all singing all dancing one and he has advised against it. I had also heard that it was RAM hungry, as mentioned above, that is never a good thing. That's two penneth worth and not very constructive advice I guess.

Bill Cunningham
03-27-2007, 8:15 PM
I don't see why this first release of a new windows operating system should be any different than any other first release of a windows operating system..
Bill Gates stands out on his 'virtual' hill, drops a flag, and Yells "LET THE BUGSHOOT BEGIN" !!
Then, everyone that has spent money for his software, takes all the hits, and frustrations, and Mr. Bill has a million new bugshooters doing a lot of work and paying 'him' to do it!
I never upgrade until a few more releases go out, I have neither the time or patients to deal with the crashes, lockups, and trying to make my software work..